• Register Today It's free!

Front brakes dragging?

Dasan458

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
2000 5.0 explorer. I’ve had this thing for a year and a half now and have done a few things. Swapped to manual 4wd transfer case and replaced a bunch of worn parts.

Ever since, my front brakes have been dragging a little bit, enough to feel resistance when spinning the wheel when it’s off the ground. At first I thought it was the front diff binding but after pushing the pistons back in they spun freely. Since then I’ve replaced both calipers, brackets, hoses, brake flush, and even put spacers behind the master enough to release pressure when not pressing the pedal. Still dragging.

Only thing I haven’t changed it pads and rotors because there is still plenty left. I have used a ton on brake grease on the pins and clips and still nothing.

I know there should be some resistance but this is enough to slow the vehicle down to a stop coasting downhill. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do your pads move freely in the mounting brackets? Might want to pull them and polish the surfaces under the clips.

Could be bad rubber brake hoses, when the rubber hoses get old, they deteriorate on the inside and may not be visible on the outside. This could lead to a restriction in the hose not allowing the pressure to completely release the caliper/calipers. When the vehicle is in the air and you can feel drag when spinning the wheel, try opening a bleeder valve on the caliper and see if there is pressure in the caliper after releasing the brake pedal.

Do your pads move freely in the mounting brackets? Might want to pull them and polish the surfaces under the clips.
They We’re a little sticky but I lubed them up a while ago. I’ll check again and see how they are.

Could be bad rubber brake hoses, when the rubber hoses get old, they deteriorate on the inside and may not be visible on the outside. This could lead to a restriction in the hose not allowing the pressure to completely release the caliper/calipers. When the vehicle is in the air and you can feel drag when spinning the wheel, try opening a bleeder valve on the caliper and see if there is pressure in the caliper after releasing the brake pedal.
I replaced hoses, but I’ll try that trick, maybe there is a restriction in the hardlines.

Are you sure it's not the hub. Does the wheel spin freely without the caliper installed? I had the same problem and replacing the hub bearing fixed it.

Back