• Register Today It's free!

front bumper on pre-92 Rangers

AaronE19

Reaction score
City, State
Houghton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
this is as good a place to ask as any, I guess... smittybilt makes a prerunner front bumper that is designed to fit pre-1992 rangers, which have the same bumper style as my 93 explorer... my question is: are they similar enough that I'm not going to have a problem installing their ranger prerunner on my truck? it doesn't look like it would mount to the frame or anything, just bolt to the top of the bumper or whatever. any ideas?

thanks.

Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if the frame rails are the same or not.

However, check out James Duff Enterprises - they have pre-runner style tube bumpers for most trucks.

yeah, I've looked at the ones James Duff offers, but I'm just looking for something that bolts on to the existing bumper instead of an actual bumper replacement. the guy who owned my truck before me hit something and bent the bracket all to hell. I've tried getting it off to straighten the bumper and replace the bracket, but to no avail. the top of the bumper is fine, though. it's just the front part that has a little bow to it. I was looking for a grill guard for a while, but it just wouldn't fit right with the bumper as-is. I talked to a rep at smittybilt who says that the bumper and frame are 'different on the 1-ton than on the 3/4 or 1/2 ton,' but this only leads me to believe that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Have you tried asking Smittybilt? Maybe they could tell you.

yeah, I've been emailing their tech guy for the last couple days trying to make sense of what he's saying. the dude is missing some sandwiches from his picnic basket, I swear. it took me three emails just to explain what my question was to him, and the last reply I got from him he started talking about rear bumpers for 93 Rangers so I just gave up. there's a universal-fit job that ProComp offers, I just don't like it as much. looks like that's the way I'll have to go, though.

Aaron, how about finding a 92 or older Ranger and parking next to it and doing a few measurements. If you find no real discepancies, order it, you can always return it if it doesn't work. You probably have thought of this and maybe done it, I'm just thinking if this is the only one you really like, go for it.

Back