• Register Today It's free!

Front Bumper removal

TDX Dogg

Reaction score
City, State
Deer Lake, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
ok, so I was trying to remove the front bumper cover on my 99 XLT and I noticed that there are some very hard to reach screws behind the bumper cover. I checked the other threads and I see it's easier to take off the actual bumper and remove the cover that way, but can anyone tell me if there's anything complicated in doing this? I figure disconnect the battery and undo a few nuts and bolts but how many bolts/nuts is there to be undone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not 100% sure, but there should be only 4 bolts

Only 4 bolts, but disconnect the fog lights first. I tried to get the cover off once without removing the whole bumper and I couldn't get to all the screws. It is much easier to just take the 4 bolts out. So much more room to work.

99 hit the nail on the head.
Four bolts two wires and the thing is off. It is real cake. You may want a buddy over to help prevent the bumper form comming off into your lap.

If I am not mistaken it is either a 19mm or a 21mm nut.

Well, I got the old bumper off and put together the new bumper. It's going back on this afternoon after I wash the ride. Thanks everyone.

Back