• Register Today It's free!

Front bumper?

97NEER

Reaction score
City, State
Springtucky,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
I have a 97 mountaineer and i was wondering if a front bumper from a 99-01 explorer would fit w/o any modifications?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, I think all of them are the same.

However, I'm unsure about the two fog light wires that come down from the truck's harness and plug into the bulbs. Not sure if the Mountaineer used the same bulbs as the Explorer.. you'd just have to get up under there and check. If they're different (ie. plug or length) you'd want to snatch the ones off the Explorer. They should plug into your truck's harness no problem.

Thanks alot yeah that the main reason i was wanting to change the front bumper was to get rid of those square fog lights thanks again!

I forgot the '97 still had the square fogs, in that case you WILL need the two connecting wires as well. The square style fogs lights used 893 bulbs, to the best of my knowledge the 99-01 round style used H1 bulbs. (err possibly H3)

Welcome to the forums by the way, I see you joined this month.

I forgot the '97 still had the square fogs, in that case you WILL need the two connecting wires as well. The square style fogs lights used 893 bulbs, to the best of my knowledge the 99-01 round style used H1 bulbs. (err possibly H3)

Welcome to the forums by the way, I see you joined this month.

H1s (if like my truck[in avatar])

and the Mountaineers like mine have 9006 foglights (i really didnt see that coming when i pulled the bulb out, lol)

The 99-01 Explorer bumpers will not be a direct bolt on as they are plastic. You can see the difference in the link below.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fex/full.aspx?Page=13

As long as he pulls the entire assembly (entire front bumper; including the entire plastic piece, both chrome inserts and mount hardware attached to the bumper) off the '99-'01 donor explorer, I don't understand why it won't bolt up? :scratch:

I very well could be wrong, so I'd like to know..

As long as he pulls the entire assembly (entire front bumper; including the entire plastic piece, both chrome inserts and mount hardware attached to the bumper) off the '99-'01 donor explorer, I don't understand why it won't bolt up? :scratch:

I very well could be wrong, so I'd like to know..

I should have made myself more clear. You just can't pull the cover and bolt it on. I just wanted the OP to be aware of what all he needed.

It would be much easier & cheaper to pull the square factory lights and put a set of round lights on. That's what I did but I don't have pics.

I should have made myself more clear. You just can't pull the cover and bolt it on. I just wanted the OP to be aware of what all he needed.

It would be much easier & cheaper to pull the square factory lights and put a set of round lights on. That's what I did but I don't have pics.

Ahh, gotcha! my fault.

I'm under the impression he wants to switch up the entire front bumper based on the style - IMHO the '99-'01 looks a LOT better, I might do it to mine before long... :p:

I'm just the opposite. I hate the 99-01 cheap plastic look. :)

bumper reply

I have a 97 front chrome bumper w grey trim in about as good as condition as you can get. looks almost brand-new. I myself would like to to change it to a 99-01 version. if anyone that has one and would like to swap or lead me to someone taht has one im all ears :)

I was thinking about modifying the stock steel bumper and putting a 99-01 plastic cover on it. The steel bumper would act as an impact bar and provide decent support for the cover. I personally would much rather have the newer look.

Back