Front bumpers are finally done... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front bumpers are finally done...

This bumper looks to have loads more clearance than stock right where you need it in front of the tires because you just have the one tube there. Im sure joshC could probably fit 36s with the lift and that bumper. Probably the max your want to put on a SFA EX without totally hacking up all the fenders. Now if there was a way to hook up the stock round fogs somewhere and still run my PIAA 520s as well.

I like it. Without the hoop and all black though. Just need a winch to go with it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, I was just comparing these two pics,
bump2.jpg
close3.jpg

and when I first looked, it looked like Josh's was sticking out forward a lot more than stock and killing approach angle. But if you kinda superimpose the stock bumper onto Josh's, it looks like the approach angle to be very close to stock.

Sorry about that.........bad assumption on my part.:(

When the winch is mounted where does the roller fairlead point out of? In between the hoop or under it through a cut in the diamond plate? Im trying to get a visual idea?

Originally posted by soupbone
When the winch is mounted where does the roller fairlead point out of? In between the hoop or under it through a cut in the diamond plate? Im trying to get a visual idea?

Actually I was wondering the same thing. Exactly how and where will the winch be mounted.

Keep up the great work Cory!

Never seen one mounted that way before. That wouldn't cause any problems would it? I imagine not, but then I really am not a winch expert in any way. Still, if it'll work, count me in again.

I mean up as in a vertical sense.

The fairlead would be infront of the winch, but situated vertically up, not down with the winch under the mount.

Yeah, I got that. Just rotate the whole winch up 90 degrees. I was just wondering if there would be an issue with the cable doing a 90 degree bend from the front of the truck. Extra strain. Maybe not. I guess that's what the fairlead is for.

huh?

Originally posted by DocVijay
Yeah, I got that. Just rotate the whole winch up 90 degrees. I was just wondering if there would be an issue with the cable doing a 90 degree bend from the front of the truck. Extra strain. Maybe not. I guess that's what the fairlead is for.

No no no no no! :p

The winch will sit like any other winch you will see with the fairlead in the front link most fairleads you will see.

Some people have built bumpers where the winch hangs down and the fairlead hangs off the winch plate. Basically a normal winch plate upside down. I am not doing that.

I am doing it the traditional way.

Oh, OK. Sorry, I'm just confusing myself. I got it now! Sorry.:)

i love this bumper. loveit .

but can i hit **** with it????:eek:
thats what i wanna know.
can i be going like 5-10 miles an hour right into a tree.
theis is what kinda strength i'm looking for.
:cool:

but i do love the design and craftsmanship. corryu i aplaud you on that.
ok so i can get one with two fairleads and and a couple drilled out holes for big kcs in the middle right in front of the of thew grill like four holes??
you think it's do able??

come on i really need that bumper. dude

That is one great looking bumper! Let me know if you ever start fabbing one for a 2nd gen Grand Cherokee.

Originally posted by Lefy
i love this bumper. loveit .

but can i hit **** with it????:eek:
thats what i wanna know.
can i be going like 5-10 miles an hour right into a tree.
theis is what kinda strength i'm looking for.
:cool:

Probably. I wouldn't do it on purpose. Enough hits on anything and you are going to bend/break it.

ok so i can get one with two fairleads and and a couple drilled out holes for big kcs in the middle right in front of the of thew grill like four holes??
you think it's do able??

Why do you want two fairleads?

And if you want the tabs there, you won't be able to use the winch.

I meant, clevis blocks for D shackles that i could be mounted on the bumper for sturdy tow points.
sorry i think i had a brain fart ,two fairleads would be quit worthless unless you had two winchs up front. hmmm :eek:

that could be nuts.

could yuou mount up clevis mounts for D-shackles and tow points without to much of a hasle..

cool sory about the confusion

what thickness diamond plate did u use? 0.o6 or 0.125?

You have GOT TO MAKE THAT FOR A 1ST GEN. I need that for my 91. MUST HAVE. You made exactly What I am after. Was going to fab my own but yours is just so well done. LMK if and when a 1st gen version will be around.

My diamond plate is 3/8s.

Cory, did you get my email about the winch plate last week? I need to know if you've got that yet. My winch will be on the truck in a couple of weeks if i've got the plate to mount it to. If not then i'll have to make my own at the shop.

I'll be sure and post pictures with the winch on so everyone can see what it was suppose to look like.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got my bumper two days ago from cory l and i'll be posting pics of it probobly monday to show off the superb job i did on the paint job and install.

but boy is it bad ass..

Back