Front bumpers are finally done...

CoryL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
Got all my brackets in to make the front bumpers for 2nd Gens. Drilling required. Also will have to remove the plates that are attached at the end of the frame that the stock bumper bolts to. Easy to do.

These may fit the 1st Gen, but I am not sure.

The winch plate will be coming soon. Weld on clevis mounts are available as well.

Check out my webpage for more details.

fbump.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cory, I love your bumpers. I will be looking to get a set next Spring with income tax.
Does the bumper on the 2nd Gen affect the airbag system.

Tim

It isn't the stock bumper, so I am sure it would affect the air bag system in a crash. It will be less likely to crumble in on itself like the stick bumper however. The air bag sensors were not moved, etc.

Check my page for pricing. The link is in my sig.

I'll vouch for the toughness of the bumpers. It did save me a bunch of money at Tellico. We had 2 winches hooked to the bumper, under my axle, around my sliders and back through the bumper to get me out of a creek when i broke down. VERY tough. I love mine. Here is a fnished shot, maybe it will help with some finished product ideas for some of you.

Attachments

• im000899-2.jpg
    im000899-2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,262

Oh I like that very nice with the pre-runner look!!!!

Is it possible to get them with the light tabs also inside the upper bar piece, so the lights are protected some? I guess I don't like how Josh's lights are sitting outside that bar and seem pretty vunerable to branches and what not. Would there be an extra charge for this?

Originally posted by HokieBert
Is it possible to get them with the light tabs also inside the upper bar piece, so the lights are protected some? I guess I don't like how Josh's lights are sitting outside that bar and seem pretty vunerable to branches and what not. Would there be an extra charge for this?

It is easily done. Josh did it that way because he is planning on running a winch and they would be in the way then.

Cory,
How about something along the same lines, but not as much of an "approach angle killer"? Would it be possible to keep the features, yet a little more compact up front?

Hey cory, I want one of those bumpers, but im on this damn ship in the persian gulf, can you take my visa over your web site or can i email you the number, see i'd like to have it shipped to jon's house in fla, but im buying it, thanks. mike

Wow mike, buying Tramp and now a bumper for her. Maybe I need to get on a ship in the Persian Gulf to start to save some money. Then maybe I could afford some goodies for the X.
Sorry to get off topic.

mike... the curves on it won't fit the first gens right. from what i saw on josh's, it mimics the curve of the body almost perfectly. since the 1st gen has a squared front, it may not fit or may look silly.
i'm sure its just a matter of bending that tube differently on both sides and that's it..
i'm guessing cory can answer that better than me!

ya i had noticed that too but i think that he can do something with it. I really like that look, I emailed Jon earlier and i think he's gonna get up with cory since i cant and hopefully they can figure something bad azz for it.

Originally posted by Robb
Cory,
How about something along the same lines, but not as much of an "approach angle killer"? Would it be possible to keep the features, yet a little more compact up front?

If you don't mind cutting up your grille it won't be a problem. :D

It is designed to hold a winch and because of that sticks out a little bit. It's approach angle is actually better than stock.

cory.. was there enough room under there to mount a winch hidden style b/w the frame possibly or somewhere under there?
and yeah.. i was actually thinking of cutting the grill out some to fit a winch.

Originally posted by jasonb
cory.. was there enough room under there to mount a winch hidden style b/w the frame possibly or somewhere under there?
and yeah.. i was actually thinking of cutting the grill out some to fit a winch.

The bumper was designed to have the winch mount infront of the grille.

You would have to drop the bumper a little and hack a good deal to hide it behind the grille.

To get it between the framerails would require some fabrication on your end.

As for the approach angle, Jason can chime in here. While we were at Tellico after coming out of the a creek crossing there was a rock bank that was 6 feet tall and about a 70 degree angle. I climbed right over it. I thought for sure the bumper would hit but it never did.

If you were going to mount a winch between the frame rails, you'd be hurting because of the radiator. It's right be hind the bumper mounts.

I thought the winch went between the bumper mounts on the lower part? Doesn't really matter thought.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh yeah... forgot about the radiator and trans cooler! oops!

and yeah the approch is definately better than stock on josh's truck. then again... his bumper is like at my window. :eek: :D

Back