• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Front camera button stops working temporarily

ckc123

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I dont have the exact conditions yet. But I've noticed a pattern where the front camera will not go on when you press the button.

The only unconfirmed action i know are

1) after use of android auto
2) after a long drive (15-20 mins)

If i restart the EX is goes away and works again..

Anyone else seen this ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
There haven't been any previous posts on this. I would think that the camera button would work independently of any other functions..

Peter

Dora2.0

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
I dont have the exact conditions yet. But I've noticed a pattern where the front camera will not go on when you press the button.

The only unconfirmed action i know are

1) after use of android auto
2) after a long drive (15-20 mins)

If i restart the EX is goes away and works again..

Anyone else seen this ?
I've experienced this about a half dozen times or so on my '18 Sport. Happens randomly and as you've pointed out, the only way to fix it is to turn off the engine and restart. I've had a few minor gremlins so it's just something else that is going on my watch list for now. I'll provide some updates if I notice any trend in the behavior.

Cadiburns

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘17 Explorer Sport
This has happened to me once or twice in the last couple months. And also, turning the car off and on again fixed it. Unacceptable.

Reaction score
City, State
Port Washington, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I also noticed this just happened to me the other day. I shifted into reverse, pressed the button which gives me the 180* view and out it back in drive and the front camera button worked again- didn’t restart the car.

I assume it was related to the Sync 2.2 update that came out a little while ago. I did just drive 30 minutes home. I don’t use an Android phone- iPhone user here. I have a 2017 Sport fully loaded minus the 2nd row console.

Shutterbug Patti

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Yes, I had the same exact issue yesterday afternoon. My front camera would not work when I was parking in my driveway. This morning, however, it worked fine once again.

When I purchased my 2017 Explorer Limited in December 2017, it had the factory installed SYNC3 v.2.2. Then, I updated the software to SYNC3 v.3.0 plus I have my preferences set to automatic updates via WiFi. Every since I updated to the SYNC3 v.3.0, I have noticed that some features are temporarily disabled. But, usually the next day, the same features work fine again. My husband believes that this erratic behavior is caused by the updates downloading/installing in the background.

I just wish that SYNC3 would tell me when the system is downloading/installing updates, so I don't panic every time a feature does not work.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum Patti.:wave:
I have not noticed any such issues running V3.0. Also, the auto download does not work at this time as Ford has indicated it isn't fully functional so that is not the cause of your issue. The system will allow uploading only at this time.

Peter

Shutterbug Patti

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Welcome to the Forum Patti.:wave:
I have not noticed any such issues running V3.0. Also, the auto download does not work at this time as Ford has indicated it isn't fully functional so that is not the cause of your issue. The system will allow uploading only at this time.

Peter
Good to know, Peter. It was driving my husband crazy on why the downloading updates progress bar never moved when trying to update manually through WiFi. Coming from a 1997 Mustang GT & 2005 Escape, we are not used to all this new car technology. :)

Last edited:

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
You may be interested in checking out the last few pages of this thread; SYNC 3 latest version

Peter