Front camera button stops working temporarily | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front camera button stops working temporarily

ckc123

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I dont have the exact conditions yet. But I've noticed a pattern where the front camera will not go on when you press the button.

The only unconfirmed action i know are

1) after use of android auto
2) after a long drive (15-20 mins)

If i restart the EX is goes away and works again..

Anyone else seen this ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There haven't been any previous posts on this. I would think that the camera button would work independently of any other functions..

Peter

I dont have the exact conditions yet. But I've noticed a pattern where the front camera will not go on when you press the button.

The only unconfirmed action i know are

1) after use of android auto
2) after a long drive (15-20 mins)

If i restart the EX is goes away and works again..

Anyone else seen this ?
I've experienced this about a half dozen times or so on my '18 Sport. Happens randomly and as you've pointed out, the only way to fix it is to turn off the engine and restart. I've had a few minor gremlins so it's just something else that is going on my watch list for now. I'll provide some updates if I notice any trend in the behavior.

This has happened to me once or twice in the last couple months. And also, turning the car off and on again fixed it. Unacceptable.

I also noticed this just happened to me the other day. I shifted into reverse, pressed the button which gives me the 180* view and out it back in drive and the front camera button worked again- didn’t restart the car.

I assume it was related to the Sync 2.2 update that came out a little while ago. I did just drive 30 minutes home. I don’t use an Android phone- iPhone user here. I have a 2017 Sport fully loaded minus the 2nd row console.

Yes, I had the same exact issue yesterday afternoon. My front camera would not work when I was parking in my driveway. This morning, however, it worked fine once again.

When I purchased my 2017 Explorer Limited in December 2017, it had the factory installed SYNC3 v.2.2. Then, I updated the software to SYNC3 v.3.0 plus I have my preferences set to automatic updates via WiFi. Every since I updated to the SYNC3 v.3.0, I have noticed that some features are temporarily disabled. But, usually the next day, the same features work fine again. My husband believes that this erratic behavior is caused by the updates downloading/installing in the background.

I just wish that SYNC3 would tell me when the system is downloading/installing updates, so I don't panic every time a feature does not work.

Welcome to the Forum Patti.:wave:
I have not noticed any such issues running V3.0. Also, the auto download does not work at this time as Ford has indicated it isn't fully functional so that is not the cause of your issue. The system will allow uploading only at this time.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Patti.:wave:
I have not noticed any such issues running V3.0. Also, the auto download does not work at this time as Ford has indicated it isn't fully functional so that is not the cause of your issue. The system will allow uploading only at this time.

Peter
Good to know, Peter. It was driving my husband crazy on why the downloading updates progress bar never moved when trying to update manually through WiFi. Coming from a 1997 Mustang GT & 2005 Escape, we are not used to all this new car technology. :)

You may be interested in checking out the last few pages of this thread; SYNC 3 latest version

Peter

Hope this isn't too much of a dead thread bump...

I have the exact same issue in my 2018 Sport that I just picked up a few months ago. I'm always using Android auto and it's always after a decent length drive so I meet those unconfirmed conditions as well. The front camera button just does nothing about 10% of the time it seems.

Has anyone had any luck on a fix for this? Seems like it might be a common issue. Maybe a SYNC update? I'm on 3.0, haven't updated any software since purchasing this car.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
This doesn't seem to be "a common issue" judging by the number of posts here. You can check your Ford account to see if there are any updates available but I believe 3.0 is the latest official release for the 5th gen Explorer. The intermittent issue could be a contact problem. Are you still under warranty?

Peter

Back