• Register Today It's free!

Front Camera

Explorer Pete

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 4WD
My wife has a problem parking the EX without hitting or munching the plate holder in the front. Was thinking of putting on a camera to give her a way of gauging the distance, and give me peace of mind that Our EX is not going to eat a pole. Any ideas on where to hide the camera and place the monitor inside? Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife has a problem parking the EX without hitting or munching the plate holder in the front. Was thinking of putting on a camera to give her a way of gauging the distance, and give me peace of mind that Our EX is not going to eat a pole. Any ideas on where to hide the camera and place the monitor inside? Pete

Just wait for the '16 which will have a front camera and will display it on the radio screen.

Look at the lockpic device, it will allow you to install a front camera and display it on the screen. As to mounting, I would place it in the grill....

I saw the 15 Ford F150 in Vegas at Fleet Preview, the new camera is in the front grill mounted Ford blue oval. They also have a camera in the rear blue oval.

So you could buy a 14 or current F150 rear camera oval, the one thats for the rear and install it in the front grill or hide a different mini covert camera close by.

As far as pushing the video signal up to the screen, as was suggested above I would use the lockpick device.

You could go a hobbyist's way and buy a cheap Chinese made arduino, an arduino camera board, a screen, do some coding, slap that together and you will have a cheap front facing camera for less than 100 dollars.

FordOvalwcamera.jpg

Eticket: I don't have a clue as to what the lockpic device you are referring to is. Can you give me more information and how to find this and maybe even how to hook it up? Pete

Thanks Comper, was hoping the cost was a little lower. Pete

While not an attempt to advertise a specific product or store as I have no vested interest in either... PEAK (Yeah the anti-freeze people) make a wireless back-up camera that can be installed into any car. These sell for around $100 as I recall and are sold at the typical auto parts retailers (Autozone, Advance AP, etc.). I actually put one in my older Explorer and was quite happy with it. The power cord plugs into the screen and a cigar outlet and the camera plugs into a transmitter that connects to the reverse lights. Put the car in reverse and the screen shows the camera view. Camera mounts to the license plate, so there's no reason you couldn't mount one to the front plate and put a power switch to turn it on when parking. (Or to get the license plate number of the tool in front of you...LOL!)

Ok, ordered the Lockpic device unit. Does anyone know how to open up the front dash so that I can install the unit. I found info as to installing it on a 2010 explorer, but nothing on the 2013 Explorer. Any help or info would help when I receive my unit.

Nah. Two suggestions:

1. Teach her how to drive it.
2. Get some of these, and stick'em on the grill. (My guess is there will be some on forum that have no idea what they are)

Bobmbx, Yes I've seen those on many cars when I was younger.

Peter

Bobmbx, the curb feelers...didn't even imagine that pictures of these things still existed

jmr061, thanks for the link, Bobmbx, I had a ride that had the feelers, front and back. That was the in thing to have at the time. It was also when we had high mess up your rims, square curbs, not the wimpy, rounded type now.

While not an attempt to advertise a specific product or store as I have no vested interest in either... PEAK (Yeah the anti-freeze people) make a wireless back-up camera that can be installed into any car. These sell for around $100 as I recall and are sold at the typical auto parts retailers (Autozone, Advance AP, etc.). I actually put one in my older Explorer and was quite happy with it. The power cord plugs into the screen and a cigar outlet and the camera plugs into a transmitter that connects to the reverse lights. Put the car in reverse and the screen shows the camera view. Camera mounts to the license plate, so there's no reason you couldn't mount one to the front plate and put a power switch to turn it on when parking. (Or to get the license plate number of the tool in front of you...LOL!)

I also noticed the PEAK camera in the auto section at my local Target.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Added a front camera

Ordered a camera to mount on the front of my Explorer. Mount was easy enough, running the power and video wires, a small pain. Connected to the Lock pick device, powered up, activated the device like the directions called for. Turned on the front camera, It reversed. Right side is on the left and left side is on the right. How is that possible? It is a plug and play system, What could be wrong. Any Ideas? Help..... Pete

Back