• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Front center seat?

Sam89

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer PIU
I have a 2014 Explorer PIU. I have seen threads on here about putting in a center console to fill the gap between the front seats.

Does anyone know if you could put in a middle seat? Say from a Ford F-150 front middle? It looks like it may fit, but I'm not sure I'd anyone else has done it or if it's even doable. Thanks in advance for the Input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

KayGee

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
Probably could, but where is the person sitting in it going to put their feet?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum Sam.:wave:

Peter

Sam89

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer PIU
Off to the side(s) like they would in the crown vic. At least this doesnt have the same hump the Vic did. Was wondering if anyone has done it or seen it done. If so any fab work or would it bolt right in

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Off to the side(s) like they would in the crown vic. At least this doesnt have the same hump the Vic did. Was wondering if anyone has done it or seen it done. If so any fab work or would it bolt right in
If that seat is anything like the middle seat of the 2nd row bench in the retail Explorer, it is going to be very tight. The width in the retail is about 11". Would the seat come with its own seatbelt?

Peter

Sam89

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer PIU
If that seat is anything like the middle seat of the 2nd row bench in the retail Explorer, it is going to be very tight. The width in the retail is about 11". Would the seat come with its own seatbelt?

Peter

Yeah the f150 seat has a shoulder belt built into it. I'd just have to get a reciever to clip it into to make it functional.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I read a post in the 6th gen Explorer Forum wherein a member said when a customer wants the 2nd row bench option in place of the two Captain's Chairs, all they do in bolt in a smaller/narrower seat between the existing ones.

Peter

Sam89

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer PIU
I'm kind of hoping it will work out. I need to take measurements and see if it works out. Was hoping someone had tried it.

KayGee

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
The 2nd row rear seat bolts to the floor. In the front, there are only some small holea to bolt brackets and a few sheet metal standoffs for affixing the center console. I wouldn't take my chances with a center seat, unless it was somehow part of the passenger seat, like a 60/40 split bench.

On a side note, if the center passenger puts their feet in the passenger footwell, where will the passenger put their feet? There's not a lot of room there.

About the only thing I would consider is making a seat/platform in the center for my small dog. Anyhow, best of luck.

Sam89

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer PIU
The 2nd row rear seat bolts to the floor. In the front, there are only some small holea to bolt brackets and a few sheet metal standoffs for affixing the center console. I wouldn't take my chances with a center seat, unless it was somehow part of the passenger seat, like a 60/40 split bench.

On a side note, if the center passenger puts their feet in the passenger footwell, where will the passenger put their feet? There's not a lot of room there.

About the only thing I would consider is making a seat/platform in the center for my small dog. Anyhow, best of luck.

That was basically what I would use it for is my dog if I did. Not people. That and to have the open space feel with the option of an arm rest essentially