• Register Today It's free!

Front cover oil leak

LJP326

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
Just sharing my experience with my leased 2018 Explorer Limited @12K+ miles. Detected oil leak, garage guy lifted the car, it looked like from the OP gasket especially at the corners. After changing the oil (it was scheduled for 12K) and new "plug", leak persisted. Back on the lift from the garage (not ford yet) and my guy said its coming from "higher up." So now to the dealer...a plus with the lease. They first said because the garage guy "changed the plug" (to see if that was the cause), it was his fault. So they changed the plug for a small fee, (I think my car had 3-4 oil changes!). Finally it still leaking and since Ford was the "new plug" installer it went back. After further inspection, the leak is coming from the FRONT COVER which they had to remove, clean, replace, seal; whatever and 4 days later w/o loaner. So if you have a persistent oil leak and the OP isn't the problem, it may be coming from higher up. The diagnostic code shows L 3448 W. Just sharing my experience. I do like the car and the lease is up in September and I'm doing homework but not seeing what I like. I might go to the XLT with options vs. the high price for the Ltd. Homework homework homework.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You always have to be careful when you let another mechanic work on your vehicle when it's under warranty.

Peter

You always have to be careful when you let another mechanic work on your vehicle when it's under warranty.

Peter
Very true. it wasn't the plug as "ford" said...took the easy way out. the garage guy said it was coming from further up and he was right. Ford did find and fix it eventually. Next Ford if its in the cards for me I'll make sure it goes to the dealer. This was my first least. Still doing homework. Thanks Peter

I've leased my last 8 vehicles and the next one will also be a lease.

Peter

There are no gaskets on the oil pan or timing cover. It is RTV gasket maker. Its not very strong from the factory either. There are multiple locations on the timing cover and oil pan, that should have required more RTV. That is probably where you were leaking from.

There are no gaskets on the oil pan or timing cover. It is RTV gasket maker. Its not very strong from the factory either. There are multiple locations on the timing cover and oil pan, that should have required more RTV. That is probably where you were leaking from.
Hi, Not sure what RTV is but I'll quote the repair ticket for others who may have similar issue. "Verified oil leak. Cleaned and installed dye. Ran vehicle and inspected with black light. Found oil coming from between engine and oil pan. Removed exhaust pipe and oil pan. checked all mating surfaces and resealed. Reinstalled pan and exhaust. Refill and retest; ok." Since then I've had no problems at all. I really like my 2018 Limited but the lease is up in September and I"m researching others...worse case I get another Explorer but would look at the XLT with options. Thanks for the reply.

Google is your friend.
"Can I use RTV instead of a gasket?
It is fine to use the correct RTV sealant instead of a gasket if used in the right application (oil, high temp, fuel). Not, however, if the gasket thickness is required to produce a specific amount of clearance. RTV sealant is better than primitive gaskets in most applications"

Peter

RTV = room temperature vulcanization

It’s essentially a close cousin to silicone sealant. Every Ford engine uses it to seal the joints between mating components. Some engine families like the 3.5L have eliminated the press in place gaskets all together and use RTV to seal the entire engine, with the exception of the cam covers.

Loctite 5900 is the primary brand that is used although there are now a few alternate versions of the same type. It is a high quality product and generally seals very effectively as long as the mating components are clean and oil-free before it is applied.

We have a 2017 with the 2.3EB and it had to have the front cover resealed twice in 60,000 miles. It's a $1500 job at the dealer! both were covered under warranty. If it happens again at least we have the Ford ESP for 7 years 125,000 miles so it'll cost us the $100 deductible only. I'm sure they use RTV instead of a gasket for cost savings, for them :confused:.

My 2016 had a front cover seal leak. Just wondering how hard it is to change?
I'll looked at parts and they are reasonable. The dealer wants $$$$ to do it. I'm not a mechanic, but I can watch YouTube videos and figure things out. My husband would assist.

We have a 2017 with the 2.3EB and it had to have the front cover resealed twice in 60,000 miles. It's a $1500 job at the dealer! both were covered under warranty. If it happens again at least we have the Ford ESP for 7 years 125,000 miles so it'll cost us the $100 deductible only. I'm sure they use RTV instead of a gasket for cost savings, for them :confused:.
I have a 2017 2.3l as well and im on my 3rd time with front cover. 1st was a clean and reseal, leak came back, they repalced the cover and sealed and now its leaking again. Just left ford dealership and have another appointment on next monday to have it cleaned and resealed again. Thankfully I have a warranty as well that is covering this. But this is BS. It shouldnt have to be resealed or replaced 3 times now and im at 117k,

I have a 2017 2.3l as well and im on my 3rd time with front cover. 1st was a clean and reseal, leak came back, they repalced the cover and sealed and now its leaking again. Just left ford dealership and have another appointment on next monday to have it cleaned and resealed again. Thankfully I have a warranty as well that is covering this. But this is BS. It shouldnt have to be resealed or replaced 3 times now and im at 117k,
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Although this seems to be an issue with the 2.3L engine, I haven't read any notices about it from Ford. I hope you don't have to go back for this a 4th time.

Peter

Back