• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Front CV Axle - Repair or Replace??

jimEMT

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer
Found I have a torn outer driver's side CV Boot...question comes is do I replace the boot or should I replace the axle? 130k on it. Bigger question...are there any detailed how-to's of HOW to remove the axle to repair it? I've searched the threads on here and found nothing....how intense of a job is it to do? Have to replace the upper bal joints soon, was thinking of doing it at that point.

-Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

gamecocks

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
replace, and its not too hard ( shouldnt be atleast ive done cv's on a few cars before) and while you do the upper BJs would be a great time

airic

Reaction score
City, State
milford
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
Just replaced the passenger side axle and seal this past weekend.The job wasnt to bad.Just needed a few specialty tools.Need to replace the driver side soon

jimEMT

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer
Any advice or pointers based on your experience? What specialty tools do you recommend? Did you buy an OEM replacement CV or if aftermarket what brand?

airic

Reaction score
City, State
milford
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
I had to use a tie rod puller on the upper ball joint,hub puller to push the axle through the wheel bearing and I used a CarQuest axle.

03 Explorer XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Granite City, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited
I did mine on the driver side when I replaced the wheel bearing. Getting the upper ball joint apart was tough even with a ball joint fork. It would be a good idea to replace the axle seal while you're in there, mine started leaking a few months after because I didn't think to replace it.

I got whatever Advanced Auto sells. The nut it came with didn't have a flange on it, so I had to get a big flat washer. I found that a short, thick pry bar worked well to pop the axle out of the differential.

airic

Reaction score
City, State
milford
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
Using the tie rod puller on the upper ball joint made it easy.Changing the seal is a good idea and also the sway bar link.