Front D/S Clearance Problems with 4406 Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front D/S Clearance Problems with 4406 Swap

Justawajz

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mountaineer
Ok so I did a 4406 swap on my 99 Mountaineer a while back. But just now got my front axle back from being rebuilt. I put it in with no probs but when I went to bolt up the drive shaft it rests on the trans crossmember. I was looking at pics on here of others that did the swap and there's seem to have plenty of room. Heres some pict's I took earlier.. I was thinking I could just shave away a few cm and I may be ok....? Any ideas....

PS: Sorry the pics are so big.. just easier to see where it's hitting..

0124001946.jpg

downsized_0124001946a.jpg

0124001945.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i actually have the same setup you have except i have a double cardan shaft from jon. it fits...barely. i will take pictures tommorow and post them here

i actually have the same setup you have except i have a double cardan shaft from jon. it fits...barely. i will take pictures tommorow and post them here

Yeah I just have the one I took off a f150 so may be slightly different. But if you had some pics that would be awesome. Just tryin to decide the best way to get somming to fit in there. Id rather not cut anything unless I have to..

Take a look at the transmission mount, it looks like it gave up on ya

good call. that's what i was thinking. might be old and squashed. a new one is cheap, easy to replace and would never hurt to replace.

Take a look at the transmission mount, it looks like it gave up on ya

You mean the crossmemeber itself or the trans bushing...?

Back