Front defroster blows little air. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front defroster blows little air.

TomStev

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Park, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok I am sure my problem has been answered some where here but i cant find it. So here it goes.

I have a 2003 Explorer, 4.0L, 4 door (if it matters) and all of my vents work perfect except my front widshield defroster. When I switch to the windshield blower, I get VERY little air through the top vents. All the air goes out every other vent instead. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it? Anyone have an idea of the cost to fix it and how to do it? I took it up to Ford and because I am now out of warrenty it is going to cost $100 to diagnose it, but that is waived of course if I have it fixed by them. But the problem is they told me it could be anything from my radiator to my heater core, to all kinds of other crap and I'm sorry but that doesn't sound right. Sounds like I'm getting jerked around. Any help would be great. Winter is around the corner and while we dont get but a day or so of ice in my part of Texas, I dont want to have to pull over on the side of the highway to scrape ice off my truck at 11 P.M. (thats how I found out about the problem).....

Thanks for the help,
Tom

Quick generic diagnosis here as apllies to most cars ... never taken an Explorer dash apart (yet ... just got it this weekend ;) )

It is likely that the device on the heater box that switches the gate that diverts the air to the different levels, or the gate itself inside the heater. On many cars this is vaccuum powered, and could have several vaccuum hoses connecter to it ... on many older vehicles it is mechanical (cable-driven).

Another possibilty is that the tubing that connects to the defroster vents has shaken itself loose. That would be the easiest thing for you to check first. If it has, it usually just snaps together, but could also be one of the few things that I would actually use duct tape on ...

I want to repeat ... just guessing here ... someone that has had one apart could tell you more.

Gotta' add an Explorer Repair Manual to my wish list ...

Back