Front diff Dana 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front diff Dana 35

pdmustgt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger
I'm looking at putting something for more traction in the front its a 1999 Ranger 4x4. I don't know the all the differents between all the Dana 35. I know it's not a C-clip my CV shafts are held in with spring clip style that snap into a groove in the side gears. I know Torsen put there front diff on the shelved it after Reider Racing went under. Will the Quaife will fit they just show Explorer 4x4 no years it fit.
Do most Dana 35 diff fit into each other regardless of how the axle are held in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your Ranger's SLA IFS D35 has a slightly different diff carrier than the older (TTB) D35s. Lockers made for one will not swap with the other.

The Powertrax No-Slip, and I believe the Aussie Locker are available to fit the IFS D35 in your '99 Ranger.

Dont mean to hijack....but what about the gears? Are TTB d35 and IFS d35 gears the same?

No problem

Thanks for the reply.
But I really don't like the idea of a locker in the front. They say with no power going to the front they "act" open when turning. That I don't really go trail riding mostly snaow and some muddy areas at the farm. I've had cars with detroit lockers in the rear I know how the act. The worst one was in my 76 Cobra II being short wheel base plus eating the rear tires off.

I like to hear from poeple who have them in the front on how they react. I'm also talking to Quaife Diff another diff like Torsen, Truetrac on what years they fit. But man are pricey 1200-1500 depending on who is selling it. Basicly it's custom made for you but from I see they sell all there diffs above 700.00

I would love to have a Torsen or Quaife or TruTrac available for the front end, but as of right now, nobody makes one for the IFS D35. As you already discovered, there's no way to retain the axles in a standard c-clipped D35 carrier if you try to use it in an IFS Ford front end. So, even though it'll fit in the axle just fine, it won't work.

IIRC, doesn't the Electrac selectable work in the front end? Or was it an ECTED I'm thinking of? yeah, it requires some manual input from the driver to flip a switch to lock it, but should function as an open front end when deactivated...

-Joe

My 99 Ranger has a AUssie locker up front. I love it. Manual hubs are a must have to unlock the axles for street driving. In the snow and mud its awesome! All you have to do is learn to steer with the steering wheel and the gas pedal,just point the wheels where you wanna go and apply power. Seems the slower you are going and the less power your using it will feel like its pushing thru turns....give it some gas and it will pull you rite thru the turn.

I removed my PVH using Exp hubs and CV shafts now. After the left side for some reason would never unlock at times plus it made a awful sound went it wouldn't unlock. They only used them from 99-00 after they all are Exp style everything turns in the front.

Email from Quaife said it's designed for spring clip style axles has a groove in the side gears for them. But they don't know want years it fits. Some of the vendors show 91-06 but most show a year it fits. There it a tech drawing on there website giving measurement of the diff. I'm going to take my spare diff apart and compare. Unless someone has a carrier already out. I want to be sure before spending that kind of cash.

I removed my PVH using Exp hubs and CV shafts now. After the left side for some reason would never unlock at times plus it made a awful sound went it wouldn't unlock. They only used them from 99-00 after they all are Exp style everything turns in the front.

Email from Quaife said it's designed for spring clip style axles has a groove in the side gears for them. But they don't know want years it fits. Some of the vendors show 91-06 but most show a year it fits. There it a tech drawing on there website giving measurement of the diff. I'm going to take my spare diff apart and compare. Unless someone has a carrier already out. I want to be sure before spending that kind of cash.

It's possible that the Quaife unit will fit both the IFS and the c-clipped D35. It wouldn't take much engineering to make it work for both (it would need to have a spot for the cross pin/c-clip setup for the regular D35 and a groove in the side gears for the IFS D35). Retaining the side gears is inherent in the design of the Quaife and Torsen units (which is why I don't understand why Torsen thinks it would be so expensive to retrofit theirs to work with an IFS setup).

The Quaife is likely going to be twice the cost of a Torsen (if it was available) but would be well worth having IMHO... It would make an excellent addition!!

edit: on a side-note, when you swapped out the PVH hubs, were the Ex hubs and halfshafts a direct bolt-in swap, or did you also need to replace the knuckles with them? Been curious about that for a while... Some people running lockers up front would like to install manual hubs on an Ex, and I know they make a manual replacement kit for the PVH hubs on the Rangers, so I'm wondering it a backwards-swap might be possible? (don't know anyone that's tried it yet, but it's been talked about several times...)

edit: on a side-note, when you swapped out the PVH hubs, were the Ex hubs and halfshafts a direct bolt-in swap, or did you also need to replace the knuckles with them? Been curious about that for a while... Some people running lockers up front would like to install manual hubs on an Ex, and I know they make a manual replacement kit for the PVH hubs on the Rangers, so I'm wondering it a backwards-swap might be possible? (don't know anyone that's tried it yet, but it's been talked about several times...)

Been there and done the manual swap w/ the truck in my sig. The only difference in the knuckles is the vacuum lines and caliper mounting holes (made for smaller brakes), so replacing the knuckles is not necessary (you just won't have vacuum control over you hubs ;)).

Been there and done the manual swap w/ the truck in my sig. The only difference in the knuckles is the vacuum lines and caliper mounting holes (made for smaller brakes), so replacing the knuckles is not necessary (you just won't have vacuum control over you hubs ;)).

Which have smaller brakes, the Ranger or Explorer? The 95-01 Explorer has an 11" rotor, after that they are 12" with 1/2" moved caliper mounts. What rotors are on those Rangers?

Direct swap costed me 50.00 from a local pick and pull it yourself. Got the parts from 96 Exp. Brake rotor size was the same on the 4x4 rangers 98-current. I lefted the vacuum stuff in place but plugged the hole in the steering knuckles unhooked the vacuum line from the engine.

Torsen shelved for the IFS D35 after Reider racing went under. I emailed them too saying they can't find anyone at too machine this diff under a decent price. Well then how are there other diffs being made then. Come on sounds like abit of BS.
Quaife diff may actually fit my ranger I hope so but for 1300.00 it better. I know it can be returned if it didn't fit but the hassel of doing it.

This is the reply from Torsen.

The Dana 35 project has been placed on indefinite hold. The machine shop we previously used to make our parts has filed bankruptcy, other machine shops we have contacted are quoting astronomical prices, we cannot get a hold of certain material to make some of the component parts, and our main distributor has closed their doors! Until we can get these items straightened out it may be a bit before you see us release a Torsen Dana 35 model.

Thanks for the question and interest in Torsen!

How have you contacted them? I haven't spoken with them since before 2000 I think.

Through email. Truth is I still can't see why they had to put it on hold. I'm sure there is a hugh group poeple who would want this diff.

I don't have a problem with spending that amount for a diff. Just want to be sure it's right. I'm still looking at putting Torsen or Truetrac in the rear.

To bad we couldn't do a group buy for Quaife front diff to bring the price down.

I measured my open case against there tech drawing. Both are the samething emailed them back asked about the groove inside for the spring clip. They said it's in there but coming back with more info on where they machined it. From measuring mine from the ends of the carrier down through to where they under cut the side gear for the spring clip is around 2.600. Now waiting on the email back on where they cut theres at.

Got Email reply today the groove or under cut in the splines they told me it's in the same spot there measurement was 2.580. The side gear in my open diff moved around in the case some. Looks like a match who's going to buy one first :D

Are you dealing with Torsen, or who? Thanks for doing the research, they should appreciate any business.

Got Email reply today the groove or under cut in the splines they told me it's in the same spot there measurement was 2.580. The side gear in my open diff moved around in the case some. Looks like a match who's going to buy one first :D
1...2...3...NOT IT!!!

Not for the $1100 price tag they have on it... Don't need traction up front that bad.

-Joe

:D yes it is

Quaife is who I have been talking to well one of there U.S distributors www.motovicity.com. Still works the same or close as the Torsen. Torsen put there D35 on the shelf for now. From what I got from them through email it was also going to be on the pricy side too. They claim there wasn't that much of demand for the front diff. Also if they was able too make me one it was going to be above the price of the Quaife. Quaife price was from what it cost to make you one. Send them any open diff they will make you one

You right it's pricey but sure beats trying to use Detroit locker for the street or dual purpose vehicles. Or the lunch box lockers that IMO are on the weak side plus wear out fast. I have used them in the rear before but never in the front that why I was asking about them.

I'm thinking very hard if it's worth it too. Some of the deep snow and mud I get into from time to time. Makes me wish I had something in the front. I don't know either but atleast we have a option for the IFS D35 beside a locker

How about group buy to get the price down :D. Where did you find it for 1100.00?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought the OP had mentioned the $1100 number.... But I could be wrong... I know they're traditionally more expensive than a Torsen, so it wouldn't surprise me...

Back