Front diff Dana 35 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front diff Dana 35

Hi,
New to this forum and wondering if anyone has actually installed the Quaife LSD in the SLA D35? Any opinions?

Thanks,
Darryl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have one in mine been in there since June. Works great stock type street manners front pulls in the mud now have to wait when the snow falls

Hi pdmustgt,
Thanks for the reply. I saw this thread when you started it back at the beginning of the year and was hoping you had taken the plunge :) I'm glad to hear you like it so far, and will be interested to hear about your experiences in snow. Like you my Ranger is my everyday truck besides my offroad toy, so I need good onroad manors, and with Michigan winters, good snow manors are a requirement.

I did come across a helical lsd from truetrac, the DTL-912A569. You can see it here:
http://store.atechmotorsports.com/partdetail.asp?part=DTL-912A569&view=1&N=710+

The application guide is pretty bad, but it also would appear to fit our axles. Any idea if this is also a possibility?

I'm new to a lsd in the front end so appreciate any insights.

Darryl

I took the plunge but I'm very happy with it :D. But I also have Torsen in the rear diff too. It's going to be very big change since last winter with trac-loc in the rear and open front diff. The Truetrac won't work with are front axle no grooves for the spring clips. Torsen I wish they would pull there head out of there rear and release the front diff for are trucks. It's rumored it should be out this Fall. If you e mail Truetrac they will tell you it will not fit. Summit racing and others have the application guide messed up.

Our diff in the front is not exactly a Dana 35 I'm told it's a Dana 30 with Dana 35 gears. So our front diff is kind of a one off diff of it's own

Glad you like the Quaife as it appears to be our only decent option at this point. No way I want a lunch box locker for this use.
I know what you mean about Torsen. I was so hopeful for that diff, but as the years dragged on, I lost faith. Since you say you've heard that they may actually be going for it again, I'll send them another email.
Thanks for the info on the TrueTrac. I figured it had to be to good to be true.

My FX4 LII came with the Torsen in the back which I really like, so I think the Quaife/Torsen in the front would be a pretty decent setup. I know I'm still not going to go everywhere my buddies go with Detroit's front and back, but then they don't use their trucks onroad.

I'll definitely ping this thread again in the winter to see how it's working out for you. It's my understanding the the helical LSD will not affect steering in 4Hi in the snow, and may actually improve it.

Darryl

Okay, good, so what did it take to get that installed? Did you remove yours and send it to them, and then rebuild the front diff? I ask because I had my front rebuilt last year, so I don't want to do it over. I may have another 3.73 low mileage front to get soon. I might need the extra traction some day.

It's easy for me I'm a tech/mechanic I have the tools. I did put new bearings on the carrier because you can't pull the bearings off the stock diff to save them. You still have to remove the bearings to get the shims behind the bearings. I used a torch to cut the cage for the rollers heat the inner part the bearing slides right off. I put the shims and new bearings on the pre-load and gear pattern stayed the same. I had new shims just in case there was a need. My diff was low mileage from my parts vehicle 01 V8 Mountaineer thats how I got my V8 in my 99 Ranger

Ah, see I was fortunate to find a Ford tech who had the special tool. Those bearings or something in there take an old school tool to install. It cost me what I tipped the friend, $50. I don't think that will be a normal price, they didn't like doing it.

Can't complain about that you lucky to find someone like that.

Just got this from Torsen:

We are currently manufacturing the component parts for the unit and expect
to have it available for sale on our website at the end of November into
mid-December.

We'll see if they're serious this time. I asked them about price but they said they don't know yet.

Darryl

I just got off the phone with Rick from tech support and he said they are expecting their first batch of units in the next week or two!

I hope this is finally true. I've been checking with them since last November and have been pretty much getting the "just two more weeks" response. No price has been announced yet either.

Darryl

The price is what I'm wonder.
So far with the snow we have gotten the diff works great.

My Quaife costed alot because of the US dollar vs Euro exchange rate that the dollar is below the Euro :(.

450 damn not bad as all. There warranty isn't as good as quaife :D

Yeah sorry was spose to be 490

Still not a bad price compare to what I paid for my Qauife

How long is the warranty on yours?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back