Front diff gasket problem - help !!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front diff gasket problem - help !!!!

turnbulltj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
FORD EXPLORER 2000 4.0 V6 SOHC
Hi Guys, Hope you can help. I am in the UK and the front diff. gaskets (each side onto the driveshafts) are leaking.

FORD UK in their infinite wisdom have discontinued the offside gasket (Why oh why!!)
I cannot find anyone in the UK who can supply me as an aftermarket product and Ford only want to sell me a brand new dif (Obviously)

Could you please advise any contacts in the States that maybe of help to me or any other suggestions maybe from experience that you have.

Thankyou. Trevor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FORD EXPLORER 2000 4.0 V6 SOHC
Hi Guys, Hope you can help. I am in the UK and the front diff. gaskets (each side onto the driveshafts) are leaking.

FORD UK in their infinite wisdom have discontinued the offside gasket (Why oh why!!)
I cannot find anyone in the UK who can supply me as an aftermarket product and Ford only want to sell me a brand new dif (Obviously)

Could you please advise any contacts in the States that maybe of help to me or any other suggestions maybe from experience that you have.

Thankyou. Trevor

I'm not 100% clear on what your looking for but I ship to the UK all of the time. I'm sure I can help..

It sounds to me like he wants a seal...not a gasket...and he wants the offset seal that seats on a new spot on the axle. Is that correct turnbull?

Hi Guys, Thankyou both for taking the time to reply, very grateful. I am not terribly technical and my request may have got lost in translation, but I will try and explain.
The seals (or gaskets,) they are the same to us in the UK, on the front differential where the driveshafts on both sides go into the Diff.
They are both weeping oil, not too much, just a drip of about 10mm overnight, but something that I need to sort out obviously.
Hope this clarifies a little more, if not I will speak to the garage and then post a more technical diagnosis (hopefully)
Thanks again and look forward to your further comments.
Trevor

i am leaking about the same amount???both my front and rear differential have been leaking for 9 years...they seem to leak down to mid point where the output shafts intersect with the housings and then they dont leak beyond that point....I top them off every other oil change....i have 185,000 miles on my explorer...

my point is, i will not chase these leaks on mine as they are just small drips...i have a carpet swatch underneath the rig to catch the occasional drip.

I think you mean the halfshaft seals. They are a dealer only item. I've noticed dealers here use to stock them, now they have to order them.

There is only one driveshaft, its perpendicular to the halfshafts and connects to the transfer case.

Shouldn't be a problem getting them though once you find someone who will ship across the pond.

I replaced my right side seal recently, found a pic:
IMG_1531.jpg

If thats where your leak is, its halfshaft seals.

The axle seals are easy to change with the axles out. I replaced all three front seals for my two trucks, they cost about $50 total from Ford. Hopefully you don't have to do the pinion seal, those are much harder(mechanic).

When you install them, place a small amount of bearing grease in the backside groove where the spring is. The spring can sometimes be popped out in the process of installation(dry). If a little bearing grease is added, then the spring is much less likely to come out by accident. If the spring does come out, you will not know it(it falls into the diff), but the seal will leak shortly after installation. Good luck,

Back