Front diff pinion seal replacement | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Front diff pinion seal replacement

ophidia

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
My '99 Mtneer 4.0L 4WD is dripping fairly steadily from the pinion seal on the front differential. I was thinking of taclking this myself. What's all involved with this job? Is there a how-to somewhere? I've had both driveshafts off before to replace u-joints, so removing it won't be a problem. Also, is it possible to get to the fill plug on it to check/top off fluid without dropping the pumpkin? It looks like it's stuffed in there pretty well.

Thanks!

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
My '99 Mtneer 4.0L 4WD is dripping fairly steadily from the pinion seal on the front differential. I was thinking of taclking this myself. What's all involved with this job? Is there a how-to somewhere? I've had both driveshafts off before to replace u-joints, so removing it won't be a problem. Also, is it possible to get to the fill plug on it to check/top off fluid without dropping the pumpkin? It looks like it's stuffed in there pretty well.

Thanks!

First, be sure it's the seal that's leaking, not the gasket up front. Wipe it down and run awhile, check that the leak is where you think it is.

Most IMPORTANT thing about pinion seal replacement: Get the pinion bearing preload back in the correct ballpark. The flange nut must be TIGHT when the correct preload is present. If tightening the hell out of the nut does NOT restore adequate preload, you are toying with gear failure at worst, or gear noise at best, if the pinion's location with respect to the ring gear is able to change due to bearing looseness.

Search out one or two of the threads relating to pinion seal replacement, and study them closely. A good shop manual would help greatly, too. imp

<

RomeovilleIL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 LTD, 00 XLT
Also, is it possible to get to the fill plug on it to check/top off fluid without dropping the pumpkin? It looks like it's stuffed in there pretty well.

The fill plug isn't too difficult to reach if you go through the drivers wheel well with an extension. It's a 3/8" square that matches up with the socket extension. You can suck out the old fluid and refill from there with some flexible hose. Completely forget about trying to get a lube bottle even close to that fill hole.

<

ophidia

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
Oh, you get to it from the side and not the front cover? That'll be better. I picked up a gear lube pump tonight, and I'll probably top it off tomorrow. Can't have it running dry and toasting itself before I get this fixed.

<

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
Just fit a 2 foot length of rubber hose onto the oil bottle, then you squeeze the oil in.

<