Front Diff vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Diff vibration

samert1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer
I've searched the forums and I can't find this exact issue.

Working on a 2008 Explorer AWD. Front diff was replaced with a rebuilt unit due to carriers bearings going bad. On the new diff I have a high frequency, high speed (60 and above) vibration felt in the steering wheel only. Both front wheel hub bearings have been replaced with good SKF brand units. Both front CV axles have been replaced. New front brakes and rotors so everything is basically new up front and brake rotors tested for excessive runout. Removed front drive shaft and vibration is still there so it's isolated to the front end. It's not engine RPM related because in neutral at 60 mph vibration is still there. Noticed that gear oil is leaking from right axle tube seal. I made a case to the rebuilder that seal is leaking and vibration must be coming from rebuilt front diff. So they replaced with another rebuilt. Same problem, vibration and right axle tube seal leaking. Right Inner CV housing where it goes into the diff seems to have too much lateral play which is why seal is leaking and also causing the vibration. I think that rebuilder did not replace the axle tube bearing on the right side causing these issues. It looks like this OEM bearing is actually a plastic bushing Ford P/N 6L2Z4B413B. However, it appears that aftermarket replacements are actually a roller bearing and not a plastic bushing.

Question I have is has anyone else had a vibration like I've explained and traced it to the excessive inner CV housing slop and if so has replacing the axle tube bearing solved the problem?

Also, can anyone confirm that the OEM bearing is actually a plastic bushing and the aftermarket replacements are roller bearings?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked to see if front wheels are out of balance? That would be first thing I would check before thinking it's the diff I can't see the diff causing a vibration through the steering wheel but is possible. Simple thing is rotate front to back see if shake is still there if not then balance the wheels if still there then we go from there I know that on my old explorer the passenger side needle bearing that the CB axle was shot you could grab the cv axle and move it up and down in the axle tubbing check that as well

Tom

Have you checked to see if front wheels are out of balance? That would be first thing I would check before thinking it's the diff I can't see the diff causing a vibration through the steering wheel but is possible. Simple thing is rotate front to back see if shake is still there if not then balance the wheels if still there then we go from there.

Tires are brand new Goodyears all around and they were changed before 2nd rebuilt diff was put in. Vibration was there on old tires also.

I know that on my old explorer the passenger side needle bearing that the CB axle was shot you could grab the cv axle and move it up and down in the axle tubbing check that as well.

This is the condition I have and why I suspect the rebuilder either used the old bearing or didn't put one in at all. It has excessive up and down movement and the seal is leaking gear oil.

i remember needing 2 special tools to remove it and install it and was a pita to locate the bearing and after 20k miles the bearing was shot again. you could have a defective cv axle i know you replaced it but could be a bad reman it happens.

Tom

In my manual I can't get the part number nor does it say about replacing it or if its a bushing or bearing or both.

Tom

i remember needing 2 special tools to remove it and install it and was a pita to locate the bearing and after 20k miles the bearing was shot again.

Was your symptoms the same as I described and did the new bearing fix it only to return after 20K mile?

you could have a defective cv axle i know you replaced it but could be a bad reman it happens.

The vibration was there with the original CV axle and we replaced it because that was the only part that hadn't been replaced yet. All the other parts did need replacing. I don't normally just throw parts at a problem but was willing to spend the $70 for a rebuilt CV just to eliminate that.

Yes I had a slight vibration but to only come back idk how bad your vibration is it wasn't like death wobel it was more of a annoying vibration in front like a slightly out of balance tire. But like I said it returned why or how prob cause I used a napa bearing

Thanks. Here is what I'm finding on the Ford website based on the VIN. Its the 4B413B P/N. Says it a plastic bearing but the number crosses to a roller bearing on the RockAuto site.

Capture_zps8i2tehc5.jpg

Yes I had a slight vibration but to only come back idk how bad your vibration is it wasn't like death wobel it was more of a annoying vibration in front like a slightly out of balance tire. But like I said it returned why or how prob cause I used a napa bearing

It's just an annoying vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. Was your replacement part a plastic bushing or a roller bearing?

When I did mine it was for the 2nd gen explorer and it had a Dana 35 similar but we have Dana 30 in our 08s so I can't say for the 30 but for the 35 it was a needle bearing. And your going to need a special tool to take it out and put it in cause it's recessed into the tubing.

Tom

Source of vibration turned out to be the RR wheel bearing. I knew it was going bad but didn't think it could cause a steering wheel vibration.

Good you got it sorted out and better it wasn't the diff!

Tom

Back