Front differential chuckle on an 04 explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front differential chuckle on an 04 explorer.

sattech2000

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stevensville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Morning all! Helping a friend (and boss so this means brownie points) with his wife’s 04 explorer 4wd v6 flex. Has a faint chuckle that seems to be getting worse from the front. Popped the front diff cover and noticed, what looks like, an excessive amount of play with the spider gears/cross shaft. Ring and pinion look good and I don’t see any play in any of the bearings. Looks like it might be easiest to drop the whole front axle on this.

My questions are:
1) Just wondering if there are any tips I need to know about? I’ve been researching for a day now so I’m somewhat up to speed. Just want to do things right.
2) Just want to verify this is the dana super 30 axle? I have a service manual on the way. The door sticker only has two digits for the rear axle. Haven't been able to identify this axle for certain.
2) Can I just replace the spider gear assembly or should the complete differential unit be replaced?
3) Any known problem areas on these that I should pay close attention to?
4) A good source for differential parts or information related specifically to this axle? (Rebuilds, pictures, etc…)

Thank you for any help or information on this.
Randy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not too familiar with that specific axle, but I have done some axle work and the rules are pretty well the same.
-When you say excessive play in the gears where are you measuring this?.
There will be a small amount of play between your ring and pinion gear, it varies, maybe around .010"
The spider gears can be repaced by themselves, it is quite easy, but I just wonder your method of determining play in there.
If there is any slop between the cross shaft and carrier it would definitely be a problem. Otherwise you can replace the spider gears without having to do any other adjustments.

Is the 04 full time 4x4? I am not sure..

It's more of a "little bit of 4x4 most of the time and full 4x4 when you need it" setup. In other words, there is a little bit of power going to the front diff but not a lot in high traction conditions...much more goes to the front when the rear slips.

Regarding the OP's issue, can you clarify what the problem is? What do you mean by "chuckle"? is it making this noise constantly or only under certain conditions?

By chuckle I mean there is a noise at certain speeds. I checked real hard for wheel bearings (lane changes on hwy and city to load the bearings) and this had no affect on the noise. It’s a very faint noise that you have to listen for but it’s getting worse. To me it sounds almost identical to a chip on the ring gear. A lower pitched hum so to say. No indication of a vibration. Figured a good start would be an inspection and lube change of front diff. When I did a close inspection of the ring gear and differential assembly I noticed there was play in the spider gears. Instead of it doing it’s normal rotation the gears on the cross shaft would move a little.
This afternoon I dropped the diff and pulled it apart. Nothing specifically looks broke or bad but with the spider gears on the cross shaft I can move them side to side, I’m guessing here, .003 to .005 of play. The bearings don’t look burnt or pitted but I do see some uneven and kinda weird marks on them. The pinion shaft feels nice and tight however it apears the seal is starting to seep. I gotta think about that one.

Let me know what you guys think. Appreciate any advice you have

It`s hard to say from here..
The u-joints good going to the axle? -they can be dried up inside and still appear to have a tight fit, sometimes you can't tell without opening a cap. Do you have u-joints at wheels?
I am not sure about your spider gear play or what would be allowable.
hmmmmmm

2) Just want to verify this is the dana super 30 axle? I have a service manual on the way. The door sticker only has two digits for the rear axle. Haven't been able to identify this axle for certain.
Randy

According to the references at Dana's website the front axle on the 2002-2005 Explorers (and the 2006-2009's as well, I think...all the part numbers on Ford's website seem to be the same) is a Dana Super 30/186. Oddly enough Dana says they were used in the 2001 model also.

Look at page 10 here...looks just like our front axle:
Dead Link Removed

Dang, I took a bunch of pics and forgot my camera at home it looks like. I’m pretty sure, compared to what I’ve seen in the past, that there is a problem with the spider gears/cross pin. When I would rotate the tires I noticed the spider gears would shift and move a little before they started to rotate. I will post a few pics a little later. At this point I’m loading up the parts and heading to a local drive train place for their recommendations.

I still haven’t been able to identify exactly what axle this is and I’d like to know if anyone could say. Autozone list’s a bearing kit for the dana 35. Ronin, that parts breakdown does look exactly like what we have….the super 30.
On the axle/differential tube I have k1pp-7 - 49806 - 33427
On the axle/differential housing I have MKC 6 - REV-V - 49803

Most importantly what I’m looking for is a good source for parts and rebuild kits. Any suggestions?

Thanks guy’s.

Sattech2000,

I have a spare front differential for my truck...I looked at it and it had a label on it from the manufacturer with several different numbers on it. One of them said "Dana Part No. 6108333". I went to this site here and looked it up:

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/departid.aspx

Then I clicked "view drawing" and it pulls up the diagram of the dana super 30/186 and it matches the axle I pulled the number off of.

it's really confusing a lot of people because when you do a search on their site under Bill of Material and select a 2003-2004 Explorer/Ranger it tells you they have a Dana 35 IFS. Might be true with the Rangers but not Explorers.

Anyways a number of newer Jeeps run the Super 30/186. I think the ring and pinion gears are Dana 30 type...not sure on the spiders.

Back