• Register Today It's free!

Front differential leak

XLTyler83

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4x4 Loaded
I have a 2004 ford explorer with a front differential leak its not coming from the differential gasket and I confirmed this by dropping front diff cover scraping old gasket and made a new one with RTV and same as before the leak is coming from the driveshaft seal and its a very slow leak. Firestone diagnosed it almost 2 years ago but it barely drips. Can anyone tell me how difficult this job would be. Might be something for my mechanic if I'll be disconnecting drivelime components. Has anyone had this done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2004 ford explorer with a front differential leak its not coming from the differential gasket and I confirmed this by dropping front diff cover scraping old gasket and made a new one with RTV and same as before the leak is coming from the driveshaft seal and its a very slow leak. Firestone diagnosed it almost 2 years ago but it barely drips. Can anyone tell me how difficult this job would be. Might be something for my mechanic if I'll be disconnecting drivelime components. Has anyone had this done?
@XLTyler83
Of course, we've been replacing pinion shaft seals forever. Requires knowledge of pinion bearing preload, no guesswork, unless you are willing to chance making hamburger of your front gears. Keep in mind, there are 4 places leakage can occur, and that driveshaft spinning along with wind draft, can make it look like oil leakage is HERE, when it's actually THERE. imp

Thanks my 04 and I appreciate it. What four places can leakage occur and just so I can get an estimate in my head of labor costs how many hours do you think this job should take?

5 possible leak spots,,
axle intersection left cv,(where the cv pushes inside)

axle intersection right cv,

pinion seal,

cover gasket,,

fill/level plug hole,,

thank you thats awesome. how would one go about pinpointing the leak or leaks being as theres 5 possible spots?

5 possible leak spots,,
axle intersection left cv,(where the cv pushes inside)

axle intersection right cv,

pinion seal,

cover gasket,,

fill/level plug hole,,
@corkey
Yeah, you're right. I meant only 4 places because I don't think I've ever seen a failed plug hole! imp

Back