Front differential seal replacement ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front differential seal replacement ??

sbrueske

Reaction score
City, State
Brainerd, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
I recently replaced the u-joints on the front axels of my 94 explorer. When I pulled the drivers side axel out it appears there is a seal that fell from the differential opening and is lying sideways in the differentiual opening. I assume without this firmly in place I will loose fluid. The problem is that I cannot get to it. It seems that I will need to pull the differnetial from the vehicle and open it up to put this seal back in place. Or should I just prop this up, slide the axel back in place and hope for the best. Does the axel push this seal in place or is it like most seals where it needs ot be driven in. If I need to pull the differential cover off, do I need to drop it or can I atempt it in place? Any advice or wisdom would be helpful or direction to any other threads. Thanks!

There should be no need to remove the diff from the Traction beam/diff cover. If the seal fell out when you removed the axle shaft then it is too worn to re-use and you should get a new one.. As you suspected you will loose a ton of Gear oil without a proper seal in place. The seal should just drive in, once you get the new seal you will see.. Although removing the Steering knuckle will give you more room to work I don't see why you couldn't just install the seal with just the spindle removed.

Seal replaced but clunking remains

Thanks for the clue. I checked at Napa and saw that the whole seal was in fact three times larger than the partial seal I had found inside the differential. It caused me to look harder and scrape and shopvac tons of oil soaked dirt from the housing. I found the rest of the seal still attached further outside and discovered the part I had found further in did not belong that far in but was a part of the larger whole that belonged outside. I replaced it and put it all back together.

Unfortunately it still clunks after replacing the two axle u-joints. Since I was not aware that the seal on the differential was out and I was running about 3/4 quart low on gear oil, I am worried that the clunking may be a damaged differential. I will replace the forward drive shaft u-joint and if that doesn't take care of the problem may be in for a differentail replacement. Does anyone know if the differentail could cause a clunk about every 200 feet? Feels like its comign from that area in 4x4 only.

Thanks for your help!

Brainerd- Fargo! I spent some time in Duluth when I was reaall young.

Can you provide any more info about what you had to do to get to the seal, get it out and install/seat the replacement? I think mine is shot as well. Also, do you happen to have part numbers for the ujoints?
Thanks!

Back