Front differential swap issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front differential swap issue

anisaparks

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 ford explorer
I am swapping out the front differential (Dana 35/194 front with cv joints) on my 2000 explorer due to bad pinion bearing. I picked up a low mileage replacement from a wrecked 2004 that was listed by the junkyard as compatible. I do not have the skills or tools to rebuild the old one. Both are 4.10 gear ratio.

I noticed the new unit does not use bearings where the CV joints fit into the differential but has machined bushings instead for the right side half-shaft in the tube. Should I use the old CV axles or should I replace with ones for a 2004?

The bill of material number for the old axle is 610774-4 and the replacement is 2002750-2. Looking on the Dana website it confirms the 2004 differential does not use bearings where the CV axles attach.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the axles for the 04 are listed as different, then I think you'll need to swap them as well.

I think you were mislead by the part seller. This is not a compatible swap. You need a front diff from either a 1998-2001 4 door or '98-'03 2 door explorer.

What OP is asking is if there is a workaround.

Maybe use '04 axles.

It would probably be best to take the part back for a refund or a swap for the right one.

I have one here the the freight would be a killer.

If you swap the axles, you might need to swap the hubs too... Where do you stop?
I would return it and get a 1998-2001 one.

Thanks for the replies. Thought that someone might have had a similar issue.

Was hoping to not exchange since I already put the new axle in with new seals. Everything matched up and wheels rotate smooth. The only difference seems to be the lack of outer bearings for the cv's. The passenger side has an intermediate shaft where the end rides on a bushing with a machined surface. The cv attaches to this. The driver's side CV axle shaft fits into the carrier bearing.

The new axle came out of a 2004 Ranger. All used part research shows both front diffs have the same hollender #. and are combatable.

Rock auto shows both 2000 explorer and 2004 ranger would use the same remanufactured front diff. It's weird because both would also use the same rebuild kit which includes the outer bearings.

I will take everyone's advise and swap out for piece of mind but I am going to contact Dana/Spicer and see if I can see what's up. I will post if I get an answer

The key is ranger! Everyone thought you had a 2004 explorer front diff,

How did this turn out?

I'm in the process of removing my front diff and have a salvaged one coming. What did you end up doing to get your truck fixed?

My Explorer is still running strong with the 04 Ranger front Differential. Further research showed the newer axle just had a different design for the outer bearings.

Whew!

Thanks for the quick response. Puts my mind at ease. Going to install mine tomorrow.

Back