• Register Today It's free!

Front Differential Swap questions

Imploder

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Smith Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
I have a 96 Ranger 4.0 5spd 4x4 with a bad front differential. I have a 96 Exploder 4.0 auto 4x4 that I want to swap out the carrier assembly both have 3.73 gears. The door tag on the Ranger is axle code 96 and the door tag on the Exploder is axle code 46. Is this going to be a simple swap? I already started the tear down of the Ranger since its inside my heated shop but the exploder is outside and some snow on the ground and I not looking forward to rolling around in the snow wrenching if its not gonna work. Thanks for reading and any help or tips would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96 code is 373 non ls,,
46 code is 373 non ls, so it fits,,,

Model Code Description Capacity Ratio
Bronco II 42 Regular 2640 3.45
44 Regular 2640 3.73
47 Regular 2500 4.10
D2 Limited Slip 2500 3.45
D4 Limited Slip 2640 3.73
D7 Limited Slip 2500 4.10
Ranger 72 Regular 2200 3.08
74 Regular 2200 3.45
82 Regular 2700 3.08
84 Regular 2700 3.45
85 Regular 2750 3.55
86 Regular 2700 3.73
87 Regular 2700 4.10
96 Regular 3200 3.73
F4 Limited Slip 2700 3.45
F5 Limited Slip 2750 3.55
F6 Limited Slip 2700 3.73
F7 Limited Slip 2700 4.10
K6 Limited Slip 3200 4.10
Explorer 43 Open 3200 3.08
41 Open 3200 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3200 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73

Thanks Corkey. I was kinda worried that the axle size was bigger on the exploder.

When you say you want to swap out the carrier assembly, do you mean the whole pumpkin? Or the internals?

i wanted to replace the whole pumpkin that would be easiest.

I don't know for sure, but it don't think that would work. From th first link below:

"The Ford Ranger 4x4 received a new SLA (Short arm Long Arm) suspension in 1998, and used that suspension until its production end in 2011.

Unlike the reverse rotation Dana 35 used from 1990-1997, the Dana 35 SLA is a standard rotation axle. This means that the gears from a 1990-1997 Dana 35 will not work in a 1998-2011 Ford Ranger."

The SLA , also called IFS, is what's in the 2nd gen explorer.

Looking at these links, the axleshaft diameters are slight different, also.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_35_sla.shtml
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_28_35.shtml

So the 96 explorer has the Dana SLA standard rotation Dana 35 and the 96 Ranger has a reverse rotation Dana 35? it that right? in the second link it says "The gears in a 1997 and older Ranger/Explorer will not work in the 1998 and newer Rangers." this would indicate that the 97 and older rangers and explorers had the same stuff. The more I read the more confusing this gets.

Eh, that's an exclusively Ranger site. Whoever wrote that line assumed that explorers and Rangers changed front axle designs at the same time.
The truth is, explorers changed from TTB to IFS starting 1995, Rangers changed a few years later, starting in 1998.
Look under your trucks and see which axle style they each have. You'll see the 96 Ranger has TTB, and the 96 Explorer has IFS.

I dont have the Exploder here right now only the ranger but going off my photographic memory (I forget to put the film in . .haha) I do remember the front of the Exploder had CV joints is that correct? So I guess I'm SOL for using that truck as a donor right? Dang!
maybe you can give me some Idea what is wrong with the carrier I'm taking out of the Ranger . . .when I put it in 4wd the front driveshaft engages but front axles do not move. If I put the front up on jack stands and lock the manual hubs in the front axles move as they should but the front drive shaft does not. This is leading me to think the carrier is busted somehow inside. Any thoughts on what could be broke? maybe something that commonly goes out in these carriers? I have the axles removed and I'm working on the pumpkin now . . .didn't know you gotta damn well tear everything apart to get it out . . sheesh!

oh crap, yeah,, the Ranger is ttb, and the explorer is sla,

I dont have the Exploder here right now only the ranger but going off my photographic memory (I forget to put the film in . .haha) I do remember the front of the Exploder had CV joints is that correct? So I guess I'm SOL for using that truck as a donor right? Dang!
maybe you can give me some Idea what is wrong with the carrier I'm taking out of the Ranger . . .when I put it in 4wd the front driveshaft engages but front axles do not move. If I put the front up on jack stands and lock the manual hubs in the front axles move as they should but the front drive shaft does not. This is leading me to think the carrier is busted somehow inside. Any thoughts on what could be broke? maybe something that commonly goes out in these carriers? I have the axles removed and I'm working on the pumpkin now . . .didn't know you gotta damn well tear everything apart to get it out . . sheesh!

You're sure the front driveshaft rotates when you're in 4x4? Positive?

From your description, it does point to the diff being somehow bad. Did you buy this truck in this condition, or did something happen recently to cause it. That info might help figure it out a little.

How far have you torn down the Ranger? Yeah, it's extremely involved just to get to the front diff. If and when you remove it, take pics of the inside.

I have it out and this is what I found :The drive pinion was toothless . . .some were fused to the gear and others distributed throughout the inside I wouldn't call it a grenade but it did resemble a yard sale with so much scattered about . . .har
I'm thinking that the gear is useless and the rest questionable so I will have to look for a used one or price the internals and rebuild the case. Based on the fact that there are so many different types and and gearing I will have to be very careful when locating a used one. I was offered this truck for $500.00 or 25 hrs of work feeding cows and helping on a ranch. The inside is almost flawless (just needed vacuuming) a couple small dings in the bed and the 4wd didn't work so I know a good deal when i see one and that 25hrs went by quick. Great truck fun to drive and will be even better when the 4wd works again hopefully I can get it working before the next big snow. Any ideas on things i should beef up or performance parts I can get for it?

Wow, wonder what the previous owner did to cause that!
At least you now know what the problem is.
A ring and pinion isn't all that expensive. The cost comes in having it installed. But since you have it torn down all the way, paying someone to just set up gears might not be much.
If you look for used parts, any 91-94 explorer or Navajo, and also any ranger or Mazda truck that has a Dana 35, which would be one that has a 4.0 engine.
Now would be the time to drop in a locker or limited slip, if you think you might ever want one...
25 hours of labor? You got a great deal!

I found a good used pumpkin with 90k miles for $225 so I'm gonna snatch it up sk I can start driving this rig. It would be nice to put a locker in but I got a grandbaby gonna be here in a few months so I wanna make sure I got plenty of money to spoil her/him.
Thanks for the help.

Update? Did that used diff work out all right?

IT worked out great. I replaced all the u joints and made some coil spring spacers to lift the front up so now I can run 31x10.50x15 tires. I haven't drove it in the snow yet but that's just a matter of time. Sometimes doing swaps like this seem a little overwhelming but as long as you do some research and make sure everything is gonna fit it comes out alright . . . . . .don't be afraid to tackle projects like these in the end the reward is worth it.

Ah, great to hear it's all working!

Back