• Register Today It's free!

Front differential vent

Oxander

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington,Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4x4 4.0L 5speed
My front differential vent tube is clogged. I pulled the rubber hose off but can't tell if the vent tube is threaded in or welded in. Does anyone know? I should have checked this when I had the differential out but didn't.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the 8.8 in my 2000 Mustang it's threaded. I doubt it's welded on the ex too. Probably threaded.

On the 8.8 in my 2000 Mustang it's threaded. I doubt it's welded on the ex too. Probably threaded.

You have a front differential on your 2000 Mustang? I'd like to see that!

Can you get an 8.8 front diff?

I've got a front diff out of the car but it's dark out there.
I'll have a look in the morning.

Yeah I have one sitting on the floor in my garage out of a Navigator.

How 'bout that? I didn't know you could get an 8.8 in the front of anything.

Oxander would have a D35 though.

How 'bout that? I didn't know you could get an 8.8 in the front of anything.

Oxander would have a D35 though.

Yup. Expeditions, F-150's, Navigators and probably some other stuff too. It's not a full solid axle obviously, but it's an 8.8.

Since we all kind of went our own separate direction on this, does anyone actually have an answer to Oxander's original query?

Since we all kind of went our own separate direction on this, does anyone actually have an answer to Oxander's original query?
I pulled the whole thing off and replaced with 3.73 gears turns out the tube is welded in. on the new differential case I just cleaned it out real well and ran the vent hose up to the top of the firewall

The front diff, pipe/nipple is pressed in, it will pull out with enough force. I had mine come out of my 98 truck but it was being replaced anyway. I pushed the tube back into it when I stored it outside. The top end of the vent has a plastic check valve in it, and mounts to the frame at the front edge of the left shock tower. It's hard to find if you don't know where to look for it. The ABS wire runs next to it I believe.

Back