• Register Today It's free!

Front Differential

Hikes

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, 4wd
06 explorer is making a noise that sounds like I'm running snow tires on the front. You can feel it in the steering wheel also as a vibration. The noise goes up and down with the speed. I've replaced the entire front suspension with exception of the inner tie rod ends. I've also replaced the front bearings....twice. I just got new tires...balanced and an alignment...still there. Narrowing things down I pulled the front driveline to eliminate anything from there back. The noise and vibration is still there and definitely in the front. At this point, can I safely assume it's the front differential or is there something else I'm missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

06 explorer is making a noise that sounds like I'm running snow tires on the front. You can feel it in the steering wheel also as a vibration. The noise goes up and down with the speed. I've replaced the entire front suspension with exception of the inner tie rod ends. I've also replaced the front bearings....twice. I just got new tires...balanced and an alignment...still there. Narrowing things down I pulled the front driveline to eliminate anything from there back. The noise and vibration is still there and definitely in the front. At this point, can I safely assume it's the front differential or is there something else I'm missing?
To really find out, run it with no front axles in place and front driveshaft removed. If noise persists, look elsewhere than front differential.

Did you have a noise before new tires ? My son has very aggressive tires on his Tundra and I was convinced it was the front diff. It turned out to be tires, something Wildpeak.
I have gone through your issue many times, 300k gives you many opportunities to fix things LOL
Like Imp said, that would be best, just requires about 2 hrs of work.
I would put the truck on 4 supports safely, switch to 4x4 HI, run it at 40-50 mph and go around with stethoscope, all 4 corners, rear diff, transfer case, .....
On few occasions the rear bearings would make the noise in the front. Also, I had a noisy bearing in the transfer case, grab and shake the output flanges on the TC.

Yes, the noise was there before the new tires. By pulling the front driveshaft I assumed that would stop any transfer of noise & vibration if it was coming from the back...transfer case...rear dif., etc. Like I said, everything on the front suspension has been replaced including wheel bearings so I think the only thing left is the front differential. I'm certainly not looking forward to pulling and rebuilding it but I think that's where I'm headed. Used ones with over 100k are about 300 bucks and who knows what you get with that. If I rebuild at least I know what I've got and unless I find tore up gears I should only have about 225 in the rebuild kit.

I think if you disconnect the front shaft, the TC is still spinning. When my rear TC output bearing went bad, I could shake the main driveshaft about 1/8 of an inch vertically. There is also small pocket bearing on the opposite side of the TC from the front output shaft. On my second TC it went bad and it was so noisy as well. I have over 300k on my front diff and it's very quiet, I do not see them go bad too often.. Make sure you attack the right part :)

power steering pump faulty possibly,

To really find out, run it with no front axles in place and front driveshaft removed. If noise persists, look elsewhere than front differential.
I've never pulled a front axle so I can't really visualize it - but wouldn't that get messy? Seems without the axle there in the seal on the diff then what would keep the fluid it?

A little bit came out when I replaced the half axles previously but the fluid level must be close the bottom of the axle shaft hole. (Not the correct term I'm sure) I would be concerned about debris getting in there when you drove it though. I suppose you could shove some clean rags in the holes?

:)

If you have shafts out, you are 3 bolts away from removing it completely i think LOL

I've never pulled a front axle so I can't really visualize it - but wouldn't that get messy? Seems without the axle there in the seal on the diff then what would keep the fluid it?
Yes, axle removed leaves a gaping hole. Since the guts are stationary, no rotation, a cork or other soft plug entered into the two holes would prevent sloshing out, and dirt entering. The driveshaft input is of course sealed by a yoke. The holes, btw, have no shaft protruding since the axles are male-splined and enter the differential gears inside.

:)

If you have shafts out, you are 3 bolts away from removing it completely i think LOL
Ha!! Good one! He only wants to isolate noise source. If it IS in the differential or ring and pinion, then he will proceed as you say.....

I would jack up the rear and make sure it's not the rear bearings. It has been noted here that rear bearing noise can be transmitted to the front. Very simple to do and cost nothing.

Well, I was just going to go ahead and order the rebuild kit but ya'll have convinced me to dig a little deeper first. Explorer_PL made an excellent point. I would have to pull them anyway and at least it can be driven while waiting on the parts to arrive. I see no reason not to try it.

Had the exact same problem. Went through the same R&R and you. Lastly, I replaced the front differential with a used one from a salvage yard near me and it solved the problem. Fortunately the part was inexpensive. Paid $75 with a 1 year warranty. Cost to put it in was $300.

Just to update...I pulled the front axles and drove it. It's still there. Two buddies rode in it and and both swear it's just tire noise. I just can't wrap my head around two different sets of tires making the same noise. I'm going to jack up the rear and see what I hear as one last check and if it's nothing in the rear I guess I've eliminated everything but the tires. I'm glad I pulled the axles and checked. I was dangerously close to rebuilding the front differential!

Does the noise change pitch as you go around left or right curves?

Wheel bearing noise can travel from the rear to the front making you swear it’s comming from the front.

If you are over 100K miles then go ahead and put new rear bearings on. Based on my experience, a bad rear bearing will be felt through the steering wheel. It will also sound like it's coming from the front instead of the rear. And to really confuse the issue, the increase in sound when going around a curve will not be nearly as pronounced as it is with a bad front bearing.

Tires can make you go nuts. My son replaced regular M&S Goodyears on our 06 with Falken Wildpeak and and if i did not know that, I would think I have a problem because right before that, it was smooth like a butter. Now you feel constant very slight buzz, pronounced when turning - just like a bad wheel bearing would do. And I can tell the difference after driving that 06 EB for the past 250,000 miles, I can pick any new noise :) Now, my daughter drives it and he bought an 06 Tundra that had the exact same Falken tires. And what did we do the first few weeks after he bought it ? We chased a slight grinding noise from the front end. Then, somebody suggested to swap the front with the rear tires and it eliminated 80% of the noise (the fronts were worn more on the edges already).

Back