Front Door Adjustment and Striker Bolt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Door Adjustment and Striker Bolt

Been trying to adjust the striker bolt on the drivers door of my 96 to get rid of the air noise around the upper part of the door.

When I loosen it a little and try to tap the striker bolt in a tiny bit to pull the door in some, it does not seem to move.

Either I am not loosening it enough or the washer/nut inside the door jam body is welded in? Thanks

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should be adjustable. However if the door and body lines are not out of adjustment then your problame is likely the seal, not the door. Also it could be sagging hinges. You can test the hinges by opening the door all the way and lifting up on the end, is there play in there?

The striker bolt should move around, it should ot be welded in place. Good luck!

Thanks, Fortune! No, the doors do not move. I will give the striker bolt another try.

If needed, do you or anyone else know where I might get OE door seals or equivilant at a reasonalble price and are they hard to install? Thanks!

Mike

JCwhitney.com

Some times they stick. Ya gotta be a bit more forceful.
Don't make the door too tight. Opening and closing will be a pain in the butt.

Thanks, Monmix! I will give it a try. Just did not want to bend the striker bolt. I was concerned the inside washer might be welded in to keep it from falling down inside the body. Mike

On some vehicles I have had to tap a few times IN to greak the backing plate loose.
In meaning hit the striker bolt toward the threads.
If you only take the bolts out three or four turns, you will not bend it.

I just adjusted my drivers door on my 92X. I had to tap it but I moved it too much! What a PITA it was to try and get close to where it was close! I finnally took measurements off of the passenger door to get it close!
I fixed the closing part but now I hear just a little wind noise. I'll take care of that as soon as it warms up.

Thanks again, Monmix and Old Mechanic. It is nice to get advice from folks who do or have body work. Old Mechanic..I am old too.

Still remember seeing a NEW 57 Chevy Belaire Sport Coupe with 2 four barrel carbs and saying WOW! Mike

I fixed my sagging drivers door, and now the seal doesn't seal. I think the sagging over time warped the rubber. New ones are expensive. Are they glued in? If not, I might try to find one from a junker, with a plumb door!

Back