Front drive line clunking

toad

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Blue Point, Ontario, CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac
I ve got a sort of clunk you can feel in the floor and gas pedal, it starts at 35 mph and carries on from there(may be all the time but thats when you feel it most) .
Heres what Ive done so far, front CVs are fine, drivers side wheel bearing is ok,balljoints seem fine I know my wheels arent perfectly balanced, but Ive been working on these things for alot of years and it just dosent feel like that, its more of a somethings loose and slopping around in the driveline somewhere. Rear u-joints ok as well.
Ive ripped it apart and cant find anything obvious, yet.
A question.. how much slop should there be in the front driveshaft between transfer case and the diff. when not engaged, this is the only place I can seem to move anything.
All ideas welcome, Ive tried everything I know.

Thanks, Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My front driveline has yerts (sp?) that I have to pump full with the grease gun otherwise I get a clunk and bad vibration that starts at about 30 and just gets worse with more speed. Mine is a 98 XLT lifted with trailmaster 4", and SOA and TT.

The U-joint that mount onto the differential can be replace. I have not take the one that connect to the T-case apart. It look pretty complicated and it is not the tipical U-joint. I didn't notice mine have any "zert" fitting on the driveline. Although, I've notice my Chubby S-10 have one to the front.

Eh. The front drive shaft should have play in it end to end but not side to side. I'm not too familiar with that year. It sounds like a ball joint. Are you sure they were checked properly? Control arm bushing? Or possibly just a shifted or warped belt in your tire? Is it a wobble or just a clunk?
Good luck
Peace

Did you try lubing the slip yoke in the front driveshaft?

Thanks guys, Im starting to think ball joints also. I,ll re-lube everything I can an see if it helps.

If you already no this info, sorry . Lift the truck under the lower control arm so that the wieght of the truck is still on the suspension, safely of course. Grab hold of the tire and wiggle it back and forth from top to bottom. That is the only way you'll ever feel the play in the ball joints. If it has play, have someone wiggle the wheel while you watch the ball joint for play. Check side to side as well. If there is play side to side it is a wheel bearing or possibly even a control arm bushing, but I doubt it. Have someone whiggle the wheel back and forth and check all your tierod ends too.

FIXED :thumbsup: , turns out it was the pass. side wheel bearing, pretty east to change.
I could have sworn it was coming from the other side, wrong again :rolleyes: , Oh well its fixed now,Thanks for the advice.

Back