Front Drive Shaft and Trailer hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Drive Shaft and Trailer hitch

Smoky1978

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Two question for you great folks.

I have a 97 Explorer 5.0 AWD that has the 6 bolt flange to the transfer case. Do any other explorers come with the 6 bolt or just the 5.0?

Do all trailer hitches from 95 to 01 fit a 97?

thanks for all your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, all second gen hitch receivers should fit fine regardless of the specific year.

As for the 6 bolt flange to the t-case, I cant help you there.

I have a 98 4.0 SOHC AWD i can look at this afternoon. The flange... is it transfer case side or axle pumpkin side?

I have a brand new trailer hitch with the tags still on it saying it fits Explorers '91-01.

I have a 98 4.0 SOHC AWD i can look at this afternoon. The flange... is it transfer case side or axle pumpkin side?

I don't think the '98 4.0 SOHC came with AWD. Only 2wd or 4wd. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

I don't think the '98 4.0 SOHC came with AWD. Only 2wd or 4wd. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

You're correct. Ture AWD is a 5.0L V8 only thing. The V6's were never available with true AWD, but some years had an "Auto" feature, which most found annoying (hence the "brown wire mod"). Not long ago there was a thread on the various V6 4x4 switches used over the years. There were more variants than I was aware of.

Back