• Register Today It's free!

Front drive shaft

DieselDaddy

Reaction score
City, State
Ranson West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Anyone know what makes these front drive shafts bind up and cause vibration under hard accel? I have pulled mine apart and cleaned and inspected and cant find any flat spots in the balls or the bore they ride in. Put it back in and still have same problem. Checked front u joint and have no binding there either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's possible that it's an out of balance issue, whether a little weight came off or the u-joints are in differently from when first installed.

I'm about to rebuild my AWD shaft with the CV kit, so hopefully I don't end up with a new symptom either.

I know it sounds odd but have you tried checking the rears, because the transfercase is under you the vibration might feel as if its in the front but it may be your rear shaft that has the issue.

Just a thought.

My front shaft CV looked "fine" to my eyes.
But the noise was VERY loud and disappeared after replacing both the CV and the U-Joint.

Thanks all for the replies i replace the front ujoint and believe it or not it is gone and i am telling you had the shaft out twice and moved the joint around by hand and it felt fine i replaced it yesterday any way and all the noise and vibration is gone.

Did you check to see if the u-joint was out of phase ???

Did you check to see if the u-joint was out of phase ???
There is no "phase" to be in, the rear is not another u-joint, is a true CV joint.

There is no "phase" to be in, the rear is not another u-joint, is a true CV joint.

The grease fitting is clocked in a certain position in order to keep the balance and strength ....
ujoint-(2).jpg

True, but you should avoid buying a joint with a zerk fitting. Get the stronger choice without them, they generally last plenty long enough.

eBay is the best deal to buy the strong u-joint, Summit has it there now for the best price.

I didn't use a greasable one - for strength reasons. I don't go in mud/water, at least not to the shaft height.
OE is not greasable either, so the shaft is balanced without zerk fitting.

True, but you should avoid buying a joint with a zerk fitting. Get the stronger choice without them, they generally last plenty long enough.

eBay is the best deal to buy the strong u-joint, Summit has it there now for the best price.
What joints do you use ??

I'm not very particular, so Moog comes to mind. I just looked again and noticed that the one I was watching from Summit does have a zerk fitting showing. I'd use it for an application like street or mild off road use.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=390804355579

If you would submerge the joint a lot, and would regularly grease every fitting, the zerk fitting parts are usually fine. If a truck was breaking a certain part that had a zerk fitting, then that one part at least should not have a zerk fitting.

For really hard stress like serious off road duty, find one without the fitting. They tend to be sealed very well and don't let the grease out easily.

Moog 269 - "Super Strength".

Back