• Register Today It's free!

Front Driver's side window issue

mdolan

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Hi, new person to the forums here. I have done a search, but I don't see anything that speaks to my exact issue.

My front driver's side window won't roll up. The motor isn't even trying. here is what I have tried.

My mechanic said it was probably the switch. So I bought a new switch, and it still didn't work. I called the mechanic again, and he asked me to try holding the switch button up and slamming the door. this worked, and he said it is the brushes in the motor going bad. the slamming trick only worked a few times and the window stuck int he down position. I bought a new motor and plugged it in to try it.( haven't installed it yet, just plugged it in.) the motor runs when the down button is pushed, but nothing at all when the up is pushed.

so now I have a new switch, and motor, but still have the issue. the motor is working in one direction, but not the other. it would be easy to say it is just the switch, but it is having the same issue as before.

any ideas? :help:

Just figured it out. Went to Pick and Pull, got a power window control module for 5 bucks and now it works perfect.

I just logged in for the first time in a while, but see you answered your own question. My problems began with slow window operation, and it seemed like the motor was really straining. So, I went crazy with window alignment, lubrication, and even came close to ordering a new window assembly.

Then, it just quit working all together. I don't know what made me do it, but I looked at that one-touch control module, and it rattled, which is apparently a good symptom of failure. I opened up the module and it was corrosion city. There is a relay on the board that had it's case fractured open, and a free piece of that was causing the rattle.

My fix was to take the module and throw it at the trash can. I then consulted my wiring book and found that jumping the two heavy contacts (red and red/yellow) will make the window work properly, though without the one-touch feature. I like simple, so this was a good solution.

To future readers: This module is not sealed or weatherproof. If I realized this, I would have put some sealant on it when I replaced the speakers years ago. My guess is, as built, the module sits on the dry side of a long gone plastic moisture barrier. It would be irresponsible to design it the way they did and expose it to weather.

Back