• Register Today It's free!

front driveshaft??? 99 sport 4x4

circe801

Reaction score
City, State
nyc metro area
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 sport
okay. i was thinking of replying to this thread: http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266654&highlight=cardan+cv+double+joint
but it is kind of old and i don't know how that , that works. i always search through the forums first, though...
anyway, i've a '99 sport 4x4 4.0 sohc and the front end is making some hellatious clunking. coming from front driveshaft and pass sd axle, it seems.
i've been finding stuff, like the aforementioned thread, but they all seem to be awd and not 4x4.
i know i need to replace lots of front end components, but right now can only afford to replace what is causing this clunking. i see front driveshafts are none too cheap, so if it's the axle (which we're thinking because it's coming from only one side), that's not too much of a drain on finances. it's just difficult to see what's what as we are in a driveway on jackstands and not on a lift.
planning to hobble down the hill and pay to have someone diagnose if we can't figure it out for ourselves, but it would be great if we could...
you guys are always helpful--any ideas???

thanks so much,
allyson & tom

When do you hear the clunking? Does it get worse when you turn? (CV Axle).

no, it's equally as loud when turning or just going forward and in drive or neutral. definitely not hub assembly or brakes. a local shop is going to put it up on lift for $20 at 3pm today, so hopefully, we'll find out. one thing i haven't done is put it it 4wd as i'm scared of breaking something else), but it's loud up on stands when accellerating in fwd gears. it is so loud that i will be cringing the whole mile to bring it in. it really sounds/feels like something's gonna fail. when my rear diff went, the noise was similar, but this just came out of nowhere, pretty much. started with a squeaking (not like bad shocks, but like a failed bushing or something like that) and a few miles later (on local roads), this loud noise started... scary.

fingers crossed.
thanks for the quick attention!!

Back