• Register Today It's free!

Front Driveshaft 'Chriping'

RammaR

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4x4
I just rebuilt the transfer case a couple weeks ago and haven't had any problems with it since, however I'm having a 'chirping' noise when the front drive shaft turns - especially noticable at slow speeds. Now I think this has been an intermitant problem for at least 6 months, but after even a short drive in the summer heat it seems to be much more frequent and louder.

Tonight I pulled the skip plate and turned the driveshaft by hand and it sounds like its comming from somewhere around double u-joint (cardian?) or yolk area where the front drive shaft meets the transfer case. When we rebuilt the t-case it got a new case with all new bearings and seals. we spun the yolk a bit on the transfer case and it was all quiet and smooth at the time, and the sound really seems to be sorta infront of it. But the yolk itself wasn't replaced, and this sound was there from time to time before the rebuild. So I'm leaning towards the u-joints, anyone know if the 'chirping' is a common symptom of them or have any suggestions on what to check before I try to replace it?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its the centering pin socket in the Double Carden joint. If it hasnt' gotten too bad you can usually lube it up, however, if you are really noticing it, its probably too late and will need to be replaced. This is really common on Jeep Cherokee's (I've had 2 replaced now) or really any other vehicle with a double carden joint. There is usually not a zerk to squirt grease in them and so most people neglect it, the best way to get grease in there is with a needle adapter for the grease gun. Napa sells a rebuild kit, but you have to talk to the right old man who knows how to find it!.

Later

Josh

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see a zerk fitting anywhere on the 'pin' in the center of the union last night, however it did look like there was a plug where one might have been able to go. Although it didn't look like there would be much access or clearence for it even one was there. I can check with the local napa for a rebuild kit, is there anything tricky to watch for? Does it need to be balanced somehow to avoid vibrations? Pulling it out for a rebuild looks to be a pretty simple process.

Thanks again.

Since I've been driving on it for awhile, I'm wondering if it might be easier in the long run to just replace the double cardan unit? Does anyone know where it can be ordered from, maybe NAPA? I found a nice write up on rebuilding one off an old Bronco, but would like to compare replacement with a new one.

Thanks.

I never rebuilt mine, I just had the whole joint serviced/replaced (the centering socket/pin get replaced and new u-joints) I was told it could be pretty tricky and I really didn't have the time to dink with it. Call around for different prices though, I couldn't believe the price differences between shops!

Josh

Sounds like a good plan. Just one more off the wall question, is it bad to drive it in 2wd mode with the front driveshaft disconnected? Not sure it it would cause problems or not, or how bad they would be.

Thanks

Back