• Register Today It's free!

Front end bearings - How Tight?

#1Aggie

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I have '93 2WD Explorer and on Memorial day, I changed out both front rotors, replaced the front bearings and replaced the pads. I used Bendix brake pads and rotors, Timken bearings and Schaeffer 221-2 grease. I used the 3 step method of torquing the front bearings from Haynes manual. 1. 18-25 ft-lbs while spinning the rotor forward, 2. backed off 1/2 turn and 3. then retorqued to 18-20 ft-lbs with the rotor spinning. After torquing, the rotor would not free spin, but would turn with minimal effort, but as soon as I let off it would stop spinning. When I removed my old ones, the rotors would free spin very easily.

I initially thought that the bearings just had to wear in a little, but I am now getting concerned because I am continuing to hear a small rumble from the front end.

How free should the rotor turn after tightening the front bearings?

If I did in fact tighten them too tight, can I just loosen them up a little or do I need to pull completely apart and start over?

Originally posted by #1Aggie
3. then retorqued to 18-20 ft-lbs with the rotor spinning.

Way too tight- the figure is in INCH-LBS not ft-lbs

Loosen the nuts and redo the tightening sequence.

Good Luck

I have about 150 highway miles miles on the bearings. 20 miles at a time. What are the chances that I have toasted the bearings?

When I do it I use, 35 ftlbs, back of quarter, then 5-10 ftlbs. I would imagine 20 ftlbs is too tight. Steve is right, the final step on the inner bearing is in inlbs.

Back