• Register Today It's free!

Front end clunk - even in park

BAJ1

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cities, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 Explorer Limited 4WD
I have a 2017 Explorer Limited, 29k miles and just noticed a front-end clunk about a month ago on a long trip. I had been driving a couple hours, stopped for a short break, and as soon as I started out in gear I heard my first clunk (first time I heard it anyway). It happened about a half-dozen times as I headed down the road so I pulled over in a parking lot, left the engine running and popped the hood to look for anything obvious top side and underneath. While I was standing in front of the car it did it again (drive train not engaged). It almost sounded like a piece of metal flexing due to thermal expansion, or someone kicking a body panel. Finding nothing, I drove on and it happened a couple more times than stopped. I should mention it was fairly cold, single digits F. I didn't hear it again on that trip or for a while after I got home.

Fast forward a couple weeks, I'm driving with my wife this past weekend and we hear it a couple times. Again, it started after the car was driven a while, then stopped for a time, then restarted and the clunking began. It clunked about a half-dozen times and then stopped. This day it was low teens F. It happened again yesterday after driving 10 miles to ride my fat bike. The car sat for 2 hours this time, in -5 F, but was protected by 6' high snow banks in a corner of the parking lot. Same story, I get a clunk almost immediately after starting to move, then a half-dozen or so more clunks in the next 2 miles or so, then it stops.

This morning was different. After sitting in the garage all night, I get a clunk rolling away from the house. Granted there is a bit of a temperature change as our garage is often 20-30 degrees warmer than outside, and it was -10 F this morning. But the clunking kept happening, all the way to work (~30 miles). It did get less frequent after the first 5 miles or so. So either my problem is getting worse, or it's worse because of the extra cold the last couple days.

Any insights or updates to other's situations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update. I drove it the next morning, after it sat all night in the garage and it started clunking as I rolled down the driveway (I back-in, so no reverse). It was right around 0F when I left and the garage is usually 20+ degrees warmer than outside. I heard the clunking 6-8 times in the first 3/4 miles, then less frequent, but continued throughout my commute.

When I left work last night I used the remote start and it ran for a couple minutes before I got outside and I heard a huge clunk while I was walking up to it. I again popped the hood and was looking around and it kept clunking. It really sounds like it's coming from the grill/radiator area. I couldn't see a lot with my cell phone flash light, but there wasn't anything obvious visually and yet it continued to clunk, sounds a lot like sheet metal bowing. It continued to clunk like that for about 6-8 miles, then seemed to stop. When I backed into the garage, it clunked again right as I stopped the engine.

This morning it was 8F, drove from home to work with zero clunks. I have an appt with the dealer, but they are scheduled 3 weeks out, might try another dealer.

I have a 2017 Explorer Limited, 29k miles and just noticed a front-end clunk about a month ago on a long trip. I had been driving a couple hours, stopped for a short break, and as soon as I started out in gear I heard my first clunk (first time I heard it anyway). It happened about a half-dozen times as I headed down the road so I pulled over in a parking lot, left the engine running and popped the hood to look for anything obvious top side and underneath. While I was standing in front of the car it did it again (drive train not engaged). It almost sounded like a piece of metal flexing due to thermal expansion, or someone kicking a body panel. Finding nothing, I drove on and it happened a couple more times than stopped. I should mention it was fairly cold, single digits F. I didn't hear it again on that trip or for a while after I got home.

Fast forward a couple weeks, I'm driving with my wife this past weekend and we hear it a couple times. Again, it started after the car was driven a while, then stopped for a time, then restarted and the clunking began. It clunked about a half-dozen times and then stopped. This day it was low teens F. It happened again yesterday after driving 10 miles to ride my fat bike. The car sat for 2 hours this time, in -5 F, but was protected by 6' high snow banks in a corner of the parking lot. Same story, I get a clunk almost immediately after starting to move, then a half-dozen or so more clunks in the next 2 miles or so, then it stops.

This morning was different. After sitting in the garage all night, I get a clunk rolling away from the house. Granted there is a bit of a temperature change as our garage is often 20-30 degrees warmer than outside, and it was -10 F this morning. But the clunking kept happening, all the way to work (~30 miles). It did get less frequent after the first 5 miles or so. So either my problem is getting worse, or it's worse because of the extra cold the last couple days.

Any insights or updates to other's situations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Brad

Update. I drove it the next morning, after it sat all night in the garage and it started clunking as I rolled down the driveway (I back-in, so no reverse). It was right around 0F when I left and the garage is usually 20+ degrees warmer than outside. I heard the clunking 6-8 times in the first 3/4 miles, then less frequent, but continued throughout my commute.

When I left work last night I used the remote start and it ran for a couple minutes before I got outside and I heard a huge clunk while I was walking up to it. I again popped the hood and was looking around and it kept clunking. It really sounds like it's coming from the grill/radiator area. I couldn't see a lot with my cell phone flash light, but there wasn't anything obvious visually and yet it continued to clunk, sounds a lot like sheet metal bowing. It continued to clunk like that for about 6-8 miles, then seemed to stop. When I backed into the garage, it clunked again right as I stopped the engine.

This morning it was 8F, drove from home to work with zero clunks. I have an appt with the dealer, but they are scheduled 3 weeks out, might try another dealer.

So, did it clunk all the way to work this morning or not?

There is an ABS system check that gives a single clunk when starting to move(around 5mph).
Mine does this every time I start moving for the first time after starting the engine.

That clunk wouldn't happen with the remote start. It only happens when you start moving.
Wonder if it's in the radiator(maybe air in the system?) How's your coolant level? Check it in the morning before starting.

I remember reading somewhere that the cats can make a noise similiar to that especially in cold weather. My 2003 Expedition did that. But that sounded like someone hitting the lid of a 55gl drum.

Yesterday it clunked all the way to work, today not a peep.

I could see it being the cat/heat shield, that'd definitely be a thermal thing as I surmised. Sure sounded like it was right up front though, like grill/radiator area. However, snow banks and who knows what else could be redirecting sound. I thought the fan(s) might be jammed or something as they were not running but not surprising as it was just warming up in single digit F temps.

Inside the car, it sounds more like it's originating on the driver's side, my wife agreed from the passenger seat, but again, not sure about that.

Back