Front end clunk? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end clunk?

Riley

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 XLT 4WD
I have an '06 Explorer with a front end clunk when I drive over bumps. The noise can be heard when either front wheel hits a bump or pothole. Seems like it only becomes noticeable when it's below 40 degrees outside. I looked at the sway bar end links and they appear to be tight and not deformed or missing. I don't want to keep replacing parts if their not the cause. Anyone else have this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a recall the affected a small number of 06's that had a clunk in the steering wheel when turned due to some bolts not being tighened properly. Dont know if this could be it though.

I have an '06 Explorer with a front end clunk when I drive over bumps. The noise can be heard when either front wheel hits a bump or pothole. Seems like it only becomes noticeable when it's below 40 degrees outside. I looked at the sway bar end links and they appear to be tight and not deformed or missing. I don't want to keep replacing parts if their not the cause. Anyone else have this issue?

Pretty sure I have this problem, too. Same temp parameters (here in Boston, I can't remember the last time it was over 40), seem to hear it more with pot holes, and it sounds hollow. I brought my truck in a few weeks ago for some other work and when they did an inspection they told me I had a loose ball joint in my left front end. I was hoping the repair would do the trick for the noise, but it didn't, so thats one other thing we can rule out.

Same problem

I've been noticing something similar with my truck since the last few snow storms we've had. 2006 with about 51k miles. I notice it when I hit small, quick bumps. Sounds like someone is knocking on the floor under my feet when I hit the bumps. Wasn't sure if it was time for new shocks; figured they'd last well beyond 55k but who knows. I did a visual inspection as well and everything looks in place. Someone at work mentioned the loose ball joint possibility to me but I figured I'd check here first.

ETA: I had an alignment and new tires installed back around September with 50k miles. Shop didn't mention any issues back then.

I have seen entire front ends replaced only to find out they needed to grease the hood latch.

I did a pretty thorough (albeit untrained) visual and tactile inspection of the front end last night, and everything looks and feels fine. No broken / loose components, no bushings looked bad, etc. Sway arm linkages looked and felt fine.

I'm in the same boat. I took it in thinking it was the sway bar links and was told the front lower ball joint needed to be replaced. I figured that would have solved the problem, but it didn't. I took it back again and they claim they can't hear anything and everything in the front end seems to be fine. My guess is that whatever it is, is only evident with the wheels on the ground and once the car is off the ground it can't be seen. I'm still thinking sway bar links and they just aren't worn enough to be noticeable to the eye yet.

Hello , has anyone come up with a remedy for the clunk / thunk ?

Hello , has anyone come up with a remedy for the clunk / thunk ?

Mine was the left lower ball joint. I had gone to the auto hobby shop with new front struts and lower & upper ball joints. Got the left side disassembled and the lower ball joint installed when I found out the new struts (KYB) didn't fit. The shop also didn't have the right parts for the ball joint press to get the uppers on, so I called it a day to await new struts and new upper control arms. Left with just the left lower ball joint installed, and the clunk was gone.

Got the right lower ball joint, upper control arms, and struts (Monroe) installed this Saturday, and alignment Sunday, and the Ex rides great.

ETA: Still a little disappointed I had a blown rear strut and bad ball joints at 59,000 miles.

Back