• Register Today It's free!

Front-end Grinding Noise

DryDog

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbury, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
Not sure where to post this. Not quite a 911 But it is sure a scary noise.

1st heard it backing out of a parking spot, wheels cranked right. The right front sounded like the knobby part of tire rubbing against fender. But it wasn't. Then I couldn't reproduce it. My tie-rod end seals were split. I had to change them anyway, I figured maybe this was it. When I replaced them I screwed up the alignment. Took it to Car-X for alignment. They showed me my wheel bearings were loose (from a recent brake job, my 1st) I followed a thread here an fixed them.
A few days later making a quick sharp left, the left front made a metalic crunch and I could feel it in my feet. I took it to Tires Plus for the alignment and to diagnose the noise. They said the noise is from a cupped tire. They left it on the front and said it would wear in now that the alignment is correct.

I swapped both front tires to the rear. I still get the noise! Rubbing noise in right front, metalic crunch/grinding noise in left. I read that cupping can come from bad shocks so I replaced them Saturday. It changed the ride but not the noise. I'm making wide sweeping arcs, driving like an old lady. Please help :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the vehicle 4wd? LOL I know this is going to sound strange but ensure its not in 4WD.

Also if the vehicle is 4wd (and not 2wd), check the front hubs. It sounds almost like the hubs are locking up when they shouldnt be.

IZwack, I read your post and had to take it around the block just to make sure. It is 4wd. But it's not in 4wd. I put it in and hit the street via my side lawn. It has a whole different feel in 4wd and especially when the tires left the grass. Its a grippy ride on dry pavement. The hubs lock in and out properly. I don't think this is it.

Replace Drive Axles.

your front drive axles need to be replaced. I had this happen on my 91 Honda Civic. Exact same problem. I know my civic was front wheel drive, but trust me it's the exact same thing regardless of drive type (e.g front, rear, 4wd).

My brother's 94 Probe had same problem.

It's time to replace your front drive axles, and while your at it, replace your CV Boots and stuff too (if they don't come with the drive axles), some do some don't. Get it all done at once.

01BlackXSport said:
your front drive axles need to be replaced. I had this happen on my 91 Honda Civic. Exact same problem. I know my civic was front wheel drive, but trust me it's the exact same thing regardless of drive type (e.g front, rear, 4wd).

My brother's 94 Probe had same problem.

It's time to replace your front drive axles, and while your at it, replace your CV Boots and stuff too (if they don't come with the drive axles), some do some don't. Get it all done at once.

Andrew
whoa whoa .. I think we're jumping to conclusions. The front TTB axle shafts do not make noises unless the bearings are worn. And there is no "CV" joint in the front axle of a first generation Explorer.

I'd say jack the front up so that both wheels are up in the air and check for bearing play. Then, since the first generation's front differential is easily accessible, remove the differential cover and check to see how things look inside - look for any teeth missing or at the bottom of the differential housing.

i'd still be willing to bet it's the front drive axles. My honda made same noise he is desribing, and my brothers Probe made same noise. I'd almost put money on it.

But the axle shafts don't make any noises - the bearings and U-joints might make noises if they are worn out but not the shafts themselves because these are just long pieces of splined steel rods. And the first generation Explorer's front axle isn't like the front axle of a front wheel drive car - the first generation's front axle is a TTB - unlike the second generatoin's which is more like a the front axle of a front-wheel drive car.

Again, I would first make sure the bearings are still okay. I know you replaced them but I would take a few minutes and make sure they are still okay.

Even if the axle shafts don't make any noises doesn't mean it's not the front drive axles. I'm telling you I had the same problem, as did my lil bro, and it was the front drive axles. If they are unseated, then it will make this noise. It's hard to notice visually, and you have to remove them to find out, but once you do, you will see why they are making that noise.

The right is so noisey today that I'm at the point of parking it til I figure it out. I'll pull the wheel and check the bearings after work. Can I swap hubs to see if the noise follows?

It is absolutely quiet rolling straight. Angled rolling is when the right makes the rubbing noise.

01BlackXSport said:
Even if the axle shafts don't make any noises doesn't mean it's not the front drive axles. I'm telling you I had the same darn problem, as did my lil bro, and it was the front drive axles. If they are unseated, then it will make this noise. It's hard to notice visually, and you have to remove them to find out, but once you do, you will see why they are making that noise.

Andrew

Yes, it means it's not the front drive axles because (pay attention here) he doesn't have front drive axles!!! The drive axles you are referring to are composed of an inner and outer CV joint with an intermediate shaft connecting them, and are more commonly referred to as halfshafts. A first-gen 4x4 doesn't have halfshafts!!!

To address the original problems, I'm assuming you have the automatic locking hubs. If so, it's time for some manual replacements as the hubs are not fully releasing. The grinding noise you hear when turning is the hub itself making noise as it's likely failed to fully release and is hanging-up internally, allowing parts to rub together that shouldn't rub when disengaged.

It's a common problem. I know there are a few write-ups floating around on doing the change-over to Warn manual hubs. You sacrifice the shift on the fly ability, but gain the reliability. Also, replacement auto hubs are at least $300 each, wheras the manuals are around $200 for the full set.

-Joe

The auto-hubs are real important to me. Most of my 4 wheelin' is on snow. I'd hate to have to get out in it.

Both my noises started after I did the front brakes / bearings. I had the hubs soaking in ATF while I put each side together. Rather than something failing on it's own, I figure I must have done something. I guess the rubbing noise does sound like clicking in the hub. What about the crunching metal noise from the left?

I'll search around to learn more about the hubs and plan on redoing the bearings. Thanks for all your help!

I replaced both sets of bearings about 700 miles ago, no noise when I finished or now. I found that one of the bearing cups on the right was out of round. I probably damaged everything when I drove on them for so long when they were loose.

I know now to check for play before I slap the wheel on and go.

Back