Front end humming noise CV or Bearing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end humming noise CV or Bearing?

socci

Reaction score
City, State
Coventry, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
My 2000 5.0 AWD is making a humming noise which is fairly loud from my front end when going anywhere over 20 mph. At highway speeds it seems to be quieter although its probably not, but it does seem like when its spinning faster its not as loud. The noise is constant, but when I take a hard right turn the noise goes away. I replaced my wheel bearings and CV axles in January. I did use the cheapest parts I could find (lesson learned). I remember noticing the noise after I replaced my CV axles. They were done after the wheel bearings. Can a humming noise be CV axles, or is it most likely wheel bearings? Also does the disappearance of the noise when turning right narrow down the particular side?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The noise is constant, but when I take a hard right turn the noise goes away.

That's a dead give away that is the RIGHT side (where the vehicle inertia going in opposite direction deducts the force/weight). But most likely both sides are the same quality, so...

sounds like the hub/bearing. CV axles make a clicking noise. cheap hub assemblies don't last very long.

I am happy with the hubs that I got from Detroit Axle (Part 515003). The trick is not to buy it from their website (is $76 each) but from Amazon - they have a pair for $80, free shipping with Prime membership.

PS: Mine is AWD 2001, should be the same.

I am happy with the hubs that I got from Detroit Axle (Part 515003). The trick is not to buy it from their website (is $76 each) but from Amazon - they have a pair for $80, free shipping with Prime membership.

PS: Mine is AWD 2001, should be the same.

How many miles do you have on them? Pretty darn good price, nice find! :thumbsup:

New bearings? Id be suprised if ones gone bad. How's the tires?

If the hubs have china bearings, it's a crap shoot.

They could last 10000 miles or 500.

MT

How many miles do you have on them? Pretty darn good price, nice find! :thumbsup:

Some 20K by now, I can check my "book" to be exact, when I get home. Sure, they are not Timken's, but I figured out that labor is not that hard and I can try them. The hard part was to find a torque wrench capable of 180 ft-lb, all the cheap ones stop at 150.

The above hubs are sold by an US company, but they probably have China bearings. Even the China crap has different levels of quality I guess :)

PS: I replaced the rear ones on my wife's Sonata with the same brand and I have no issues either. Same thought there - not labor intensive, I can re-do it easy if needed.

New bearings? Id be suprised if ones gone bad. How's the tires?

Yea they are actually Detroit Axle which it looks like Sonic is havign better luck with them. The tires are in pretty good shape. The fronts had some wear on the inner sections, but I rotated them to the back thinking maybe that could be the problem. They have like 50% tread left at least.

What torque did you use on the central nut? It's very important for hubs integrity.

Also - my tires had 50% thread. But they where dry-rotted and "lumpy" on road. Sam's refused to fix a nail in one of them. New ones are so much quieter...

What torque did you use on the central nut? It's very important for hubs integrity.

Also - my tires had 50% thread. But they where dry-rotted and "lumpy" on road. Sam's refused to fix a nail in one of them. New ones are so much quieter...

I torqued them to the specs I found online. Dont remember the exact numbers. I spoke with Detroit Axle and they are going to replace it, but I need to pay 20 dollars for shipping which is a bit ridiculous if you take into consideration it is not my fault their bearing failed. Its bad enough I have to go back out there and R&R the hub within a year, nevermind pay more money for the same part I ordered. I am a little disappointed.

Did you torque it at 180-200 ft-lbs? Does your torque wrench even get there?
I am asking this because the cheap harbor freight ones or the ones that are for rental at AAP don't get past 150 ft-lbs.

Did you torque it at 180-200 ft-lbs? Does your torque wrench even get there?
I am asking this because the cheap harbor freight ones or the ones that are for rental at AAP don't get past 150 ft-lbs.

I torqued them to 187. My wrench goes to 200. Would over-torquing cause premature failure?

187 is fine... Over or under would cause premature failure.

187 is fine... Over or under would cause premature failure.

Hey Sonic, should the CV axle spindle go all the way through to the end of the wheel bearing? What I mean is my axle hits the back of the hub before the spindles sit flush with the outside of the bearing. I have about a half inch or so of open bearing. I went out today to double check the torque and realized this. I recently replaced my axles, is it possible they are the wrong length? I didnt notice it on installation, but is that normal? There is no way for the axle to push through the bearing anymore, it its flush against the hub.

I think 1/2" is normal. Didn't pay attention to mine, but I cannot see the splines hitting the washer...

So I replaced the right hub. It did quiet down the noise some, but it is still def not normal. Before the change my truck sounded like a plane was getting ready to taxi down a runway at all speeds. Now around 45-65 it is quiet, but 0-45 is still very loud. Not so much the plane noise, but just a constant humming. Its almost like it was a few months ago before it got really bad, which makes me think the left side bearing is going out too. I planned on replacing both anyway this week, but I still am not ruling out the CVs. I feel like the day I installed the new CV axles I remember thinking they were loud. I just always thought CVs made more of a clunking/grinding noise than humming.

Back