• Register Today It's free!

Front end knock????

skoal_mint

Reaction score
City, State
Geraldton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport 4.0
Well i searched a cuple of threads of front end knocks, but theirs soo many different and confusing post..

I replaced both wheel hubs and my right lower ball joint a cuple of months ago and control arm bushings..iv got a really bad knock or clunk in the front end...inside going like 10-20kph it sounds loud and loose, funny i cant find the damn thing tho.

iv jacked up the front end on the control arms and checked for any movement but its the ball joints..

im thinking it the passanger inner tie rod, but when i take off the outter tirrod and push and pull on it i can feel any play.

I also wiggle the steering wheel side to side and i can hear a knocking, but i dont know if its ok to have some noise?? is it? I'll go ahead and take off some front end pieces and try to narrow it down

Any other ideas i might need to check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My friend had that noise on a camry, i believethey said it was the rack and pinion?

I would check to make sure that the steering rack is not loose, but it sounds to me like it is a ball joint, probably a lower one. Jack up each corner, and try to push/pull the bottom of the tire in and out (or better yet have a friend do it) while you look at the ball joints. The pinch bolt might just be a little bit loose and is letting the joint move a little bit when it's under pressure. Just my two cents.

Yeah i'll give that a try, becasue i only replace one lower ball joint last time

Well i checked the ball joints today, and their all good...But i do notice that my stabilizer bar bushings have spaces between the bracket and also where the rubber wraps around the stabilizer bar its self...so would that casue any knocking? i got a buddy to jump on the rear bummper and i can see the stabilizer bar moving up and down around the bushing bracket..

and also the end link bushings have a little space between the control arm when i jacked it up...i dont know if their was a space because it was jacked up and compressed them or what

I don't know if the sway bar would be knocking. All I can tell you is to keep checking the suspension for anything that might not be tight. Good luck! Also, did you mean that there was a space between the sway bar mount and the frame, or in the rubber bushings? If the actual brackets themselves are loose, then that might cause a "knock" when you hit a bump.

I agree with that. Mine did the same thing, it was really annoying, so i just replaced the links!!

(MayJan) yeah i ment a space between the sway bar and bushing, the bracket is nicely rusted on their..

I just found anouther problem, my output shaft bearing on my transfercase is shot, the yoke and driveshaft have alot of play, and i also noticed that their has been lotd of fluid draining, not any more, probely becasue its all gone...but i'll post that in the tcase thread

Back