Front End Noise - Need Help

puff-daddy

Reaction score
City, State
S.E. Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
2006 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0L V6 AWD with 84,000 miles

I have read many threads on the front end noise and I can't seam to find any that have led me to the right diagnosis. My wife is the primary driver of this vehicle so I don't know how long these noises where present. Anyway, I took it for drive the other day and there was some very evident front wheel bearing noises. I replaced both front wheel bearings with Timken hub assemblies. The noise was reduced but I was still hearing and feeling what felt like wheel bearing symptoms. The front tires appeared to have some bad wear patterns, possibly from driving on the bad wheel bearings, alignment was good. I rotated the tires (20,000 miles on the tires) and again the front end noise was reduced, but I still heard noises.

The current noise is as follows:
I begin to hear and feel a slight grinding sound at around 25 MPH and it continues to highway speeds. It is not very loud and some drivers may not even notice it. To me it is very noticeable and I would like to address it before it becomes worse. At highway speeds I can sense a slight increase in the noise with slight swerves left or right. Hitting the brakes does not change the noise. Taking my foot the accelerator pedal does not change the noise. Putting the vehicle in neutral does not change the noise. I am guessing it might be the transfer case or front differential. I just don't know how to test them or pinpoint the noise. :scratch:

Is there any other tests I can do to pinpoint the noise?
Has anyone else had these symptoms and was able to fix it?

I would like to work on this tonight or tomorrow so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Are you just hearing the noise or can you feel it in the steering wheel?

It could just be your tires singing.

yip my moms focus sounded just like a bearing going, tired where warn bad and she got new ones and fixed the problem. nice and quiet now.

Are you just hearing the noise or can you feel it in the steering wheel?

It could just be your tires singing.

I can feel it also....

Is there any way to rule out transfer case or diff?

Back