Front End noise while turning wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front End noise while turning wheel

Highlifted

Reaction score
City, State
Eastfreedom Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Mazda Navajo XLT
its been raining not stop the past couple days so i really cant get under my x and check it out and its been sittin since the noise started, but its making a sreaching noise/ vibrating metal noise, hard to explain but it only does it when i turn the wheel i was looking close today before the rain started almost sounds like something to do with the radius arms, wondering if anyone had this problem before??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same problem, i thought it was the power stearing pump so i replaced it and the noise continued.... then i had the power steering gear box replaced and all was fine. i was doing lots of donuts around the time the noise started though. but hey even if your not out slinging donuts the 1st gens are old and 17-21 year old parts fall apart on there own eventualy.

i had the same problem, i thought it was the power stearing pump so i replaced it and the noise continued.... then i had the power steering gear box replaced and all was fine. i was doing lots of donuts around the time the noise started though. but hey even if your not out slinging donuts the 1st gens are old and 17-21 year old parts fall apart on there own eventualy.

found out its my passengerside axle piviot drop braket, it was kinda loose and when i cut the wheel it was rubbing against my frame, but the problem is fixed now!

I have a roaring/grinding noise and I don't think it is a wheel bearing because it is worst when I am making high speed left turns. I'm thinking it is something to do with the front end drive (it's a 4x4) maybe in the differential gears. Help, please!

I have a roaring/grinding noise and I don't think it is a wheel bearing because it is worst when I am making high speed left turns. I'm thinking it is something to do with the front end drive (it's a 4x4) maybe in the differential gears. Help, please!

Your axle shafts don't spin when not in 4x4. It's most likely the right wheel bearing. I say that because when you make a left turn the right wheel becomes loaded. However, it could also be the left and it only roars when it's unloaded. Lift your truck and spin the wheels by hand. Be aware you may hear the brake pads rubbing, so you may have to pull your caliper. Big screw driver and small hammer will get the pins out. If you hear any noise at all when your caliper is off, you need new bearing and seals. It's not hard, but use a manual. Be sure and slather high temp grease on the pins when you re-install the calipers. It's the same goo you put on the back of brake pads.

I also vigorously try to rock the tire in/out (holding the top of the tire) to check wheel bearings, with the wheel jacked up of course. If it has any play, it's a loose bearing or ball joint... either of which is no good. heh

Hi all,

I have the same issues with my 98 Explorer XLT 4x4. When stearing to the left, it's a pounding noise which feels like the left front wheel is actually touching/scraping the car. When stearing to the right, it's a grinding metal sound.

Local Ford dealer can not find the problem and is reluctant to take it apart, afraid that they can not put it back together. I am in Phuket, Thailand which does not make it easy to find the actual problem and alternatively find parts. I need help to pin down the problem so I can order the part from US or elsewhere.

Can anyone please list the possible issues (I read about changing power stearing pump, gearbox etc.) so I can eliminate them one by one with the Ford dealer (in Phuket) to hopefully fix it.

Many thanks
Olle

Back