front end noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front end noise

Reaction score
City, State
chester
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer
hi everybody, new to the forum so excuse any mistakes.
i have a 98 ex, 4l sohc. for the past year or so i have been getting a shuddering/vibration noise and also felt thro the steering wheel. this only happens when turning at low speed [0-10 mph] and accelerating,say when pulling away from a road junction, going straight is ok and turning when 20 mph+ is ok. looked at the tires they are ok,not worn unevenly or anything like that, there is no excessive play in the steering,or bad noises when going over potholes and the like, front diff oil is up to the top.
anybody got any ideas?

You didn't say if 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive? If it is a 4x4 one or more of the front axle CV joints is probably bad.

Hi. Thanks for reply. The explorer is a 4x4, i wondered about the cv joints. Do you know of a way to determine if one is faulty?
I have moved the road wheels back and forth to see if there was any obvious play and there does not seem to be any, had a british mini some years ago and the cv joints failed on that but that made a hell of a noise, very loud clicking, they used to call it knock on lock,it was very common on that type of car. This seems different, no clicking just a shuddering feeling.

Back