Front end pops/clunks... which parts to replace? See Pictures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end pops/clunks... which parts to replace? See Pictures

fatboy0186

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
'96 XLT. The front end pops and clunks really bad, it sounds like pieces aren't bolted and about to fall apart. I've been reading a lot of threads, and have tried to narrow down the worn parts.

The uppers are shot, and I'm thinking the sway bar end bolts/bushings likely need replacing based on some other posts I have read about front end noise. I think my inner tie rods are ok, but I'm not too sure about the lower ball joints. Shocks are probably toast also, the truck rocks 4-5 times from one push. Any comments/advice is appreciated, I don't want to throw parts at this front end clunking and not get rid of it. Pics are below.

Note: Pics are taken with the front wheel lifted off the ground. There is a gap between the sway bar end and the bushing when lifted, not sure if this is normal.

Thanks guys

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,685
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,386
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,330
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,355

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to inspect those ball joints for play. Yea the boots are in bad shape but is there play in the joints? Most likely your sway bar end links are toast if OG.

I see play in your sway bar end links

REPLACE THOSE RUBBER SEALS IMMEDIATELY if those joints arent bad they will be soon if you dont

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not sure about the ball joints, because I checked for movement by pulling/pushing on the wheel and it felt solid. Maybe I wasn't doing it right? But the uppers look awful so I'm assuming they are bad.

on a 96 (gen2) you need to check ball joint play by jacking it up, have someone hold the brake, and try to rotate the wheel there should be no play. Notice on a gen2 if there is play when you push/pull on the outside of the wheel it is not necessarily mean bad joints. There is a sticky here somewhere on how to check gen2 ball joints they are different then other models. The play should only be checked from front to back.

One other thing to check is to make sure your bolts are tight on the upper arm where it bolts to the frame mine was knocking a bit after some heavy off-roading and I found one of my bolts was a little loose.

looks like you have some serious suspension work on your hands.

edit: I wanted to add that if your bolts are loose you will need to adjust your camber. You can check it with a small level just compare it to the back wheel on the same side. You will want as level a surface as possible.

looks like you have some serious suspension work on your hands.

Yea... it started as thinking I just needed new shocks. I'll check the ball joints this evening, sway bar mount bushings and new bar ends are already in the mail.

Did you just buy this? Did you clean up the sway bar links for the pics? - 'cause those bushings look pretty new for being worn out. If they were replaced, they may not have been torqued correctly. Explorers eat ball joints but they seem to like lowers more often than uppers, though any original is suspect by now. Don't buy the cheap ones, get the Moogs. I'd change them all at the same time and be done wdith it. Tie rod ends are likely culprits and new shocks will make everything last longer by softening the impacts. Replacement parts have grease fittings - keep them greased. There are good DIY threads on this site with pictures, I did mine and it drives like new again.

No I've had this truck for the past few years. I was checking the bushings before the photos, and grease had rubbed on the bushings from my hand making them look clean. It's been making noise for the past 30k, but it's much worse now that I'm at 120k. I've had it inspected and looked at, but no one says anything needs to be replaced. Maybe I need to find a better shop

Anyway, i've got Moog sway bar ends and bushings in the mail. Next week will likely be upper and lower joints, and maybe rod ends... this is getting expensive real quick.

does it "clunk" when your driving and spped up as you do?? i had this same issue in my 97 awd a few months ago, turned out it was a broken cv axle, is yours awd or 2wd??

[/QUOTE] It's been making noise for the past 30k, but it's much worse now that I'm at 120k. I've had it inspected and looked at, but no one says anything needs to be replaced. Maybe I need to find a better shop

Anyway, i've got Moog sway bar ends and bushings in the mail. Next week will likely be upper and lower joints, and maybe rod ends... this is getting expensive real quick.[/QUOTE]

my cv axle snapped at about 160k, and if it is your cv axle then the shop would likely not know untill the took the front end apart and looked inside, mine ran about $900 with parts and labor:( at a shop cause i didnt want to do i it myself

No I've had this truck for the past few years. I was checking the bushings before the photos, and grease had rubbed on the bushings from my hand making them look clean. It's been making noise for the past 30k, but it's much worse now that I'm at 120k. I've had it inspected and looked at, but no one says anything needs to be replaced. Maybe I need to find a better shop

Anyway, i've got Moog sway bar ends and bushings in the mail. Next week will likely be upper and lower joints, and maybe rod ends... this is getting expensive real quick.

Yeah, a better shop might be an idea, we can see that sway bar gap from here. If the nuts aren't frozen on the links, you might want to try tightening them up just to see if it helps. -Blaster spray- I don't remember the torque specs off hand but it isn't much so don't snap them if they aren't cooperating [not till the new ones come in anyway] I'd change them anyway but it might help with your diagnosis and in knowing how far to go with the work. The outer tie rod ends are the easiest so what the hey.

My sway bar links ['97] are just rubber bushings supported by "cupped metal washers" on a sleeved bolt. when you jack it up it is probably compressing the top bushing when you let it down the gap probably goes away. I torqued mine with the wheels on the ground but you may want confirmation from a "real" mechanic.

Swapped the sway bar ends and bushings... no change in the noise.

Push/pull on the north&south of the tire does nothing, push/pull on the east/west sides gives a little and makes a slight clunk. Foot on brake and trying to rotate tire does nothing.

Noises are much easier to hear with windows up, so I image it's traveling up the steering column. Maybe the steering rack is worn?

Well, I'm pretty sure you need ball joints.:(
Try that, first, if it dosen't fix the problem then you'll have to keep looking, inspecting, ect.
Good Luck.

Have your friend wiggle the tire while you look at all the steering connections/ball joints. You should be able to see movement in the offending ball joint..

Man I hate it when my ball joints are offensive LOL...

Oh boy good luck hunting it down! I spent 3 years trying to figure out what mine is, until my rack let go... At that time, my mechanic finally could tell me what my clunk was!
But, one of the most notorius things on these is the sway bar to frame mounting bushings. When your bar becomes worn where the bushing holds the bar, it will quickly chew through bushings. A good trick i successfully tried was using rtv gasket inside the bushing. Ive been running one a set for over a year, thats unheard of for me!!!
BUt yeajh, make sure you check out your rack and pinion, its not likely your clunk but if it is, fix it before you have to go through what i went through lol!!!!!

Push/pull on the north&south of the tire does nothing, push/pull on the east/west sides gives a little and makes a slight clunk.
Could be inner tie rods. Hold on to the tie rod around the bellow area and try to sense any motion.

Back