front end problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front end problems

johnjford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer sport
i have a 1997 ford explorer sport trac and im searching the forums and cant seem to find it i have an issue with the front end it makes a grinding noise at low speeds and it pulls hard to the left when driving at low speeds ive been told it could be the front cv axles but i am unsure also if it is the front diff can i disconnect the cv axles and the driveshaft and just leave it or not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would concentrate on the side it is pulling to. Check rotors, brake pads, wheel bearing, cv joint boot.

Sounds to me like a bad wheel bearing.

i have checked the rotors,brakes,etc. there all fine it only when i drive in forward at speeds below 40mph that i get the pulling and grinding

You sure the brake caliper isn't sticking?

It has to be a bad bearing on that side. If is a 4x4 (you didn't say), put it on 2WD, raise the front wheels (both) and try rotating the suspect tire.

PS: The front right axle/wheel should be disconnected at this point. It uses vacuum, so engine might need to run.

its not the bearings they have been checked its nothing to do with the brakes or the shocks im at a loss i cant get it out of 4wd its always on im unable to find anyway to get it out of 4wd

You can't properly check the bearings on this car.
Mine didn't have any play by hand when suspended in air. But when I replaced them, the noise stopped.

Back