• Register Today It's free!

Front End Squeeks

DDBCK

Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I just purchased a 2000 Explorer w/97,000 miles for $1400. Exterior is in goor condition & interior is emaculant. Todsy I got the front shocks replaced & WOW what an improvement! Now I need to snuff out the annoying front end squeeks. I think it's coming from the sway bay so I'll start with greasing them. Is red bearing grease ok? Any tips or tricks appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Due to age it's probably time to replace the sway bar bushings and end links too if you haven't in recent years.

You can test for squeaks by spraying soapy water on them liberally and driving before it dries. The ideal grease is silicone based, dielectric grease or even better, viscous silicone brake grease. The bar may have rusted and if so you should sand that off before putting new bushing on, at least where it contacts them.

I would assume your red bearing grease is petroleum based, so not a good choice for the original rubber bushings. It would make less difference on replacement polyurethane bushings, but silicone based grease is still better for PU.

Don't be surprised if it continues to squeak after you fix the sway bar bushings (and the sway bar no longer squeaks). At that point, evaluate your upper control arm bushings... you're likely to find the squeak there. I've been-there-done-that with my 2000 Explorer.

97,000 miles is pretty low for needing major front end work, but the truck is 18 years old now. It might be the sway bar bushings, but also take a look at the rubber boots on the upper and lower ball joints. Ford's ball joint boots tend to disintegrate, letting the grease out and water and dirt in. I've replaced the ball joints on 4 of my 6 Explorers and the other 2 no doubt needed ball joints too.

If you want to test if your sway bar bushings are the source of you squeak, disconnect the links, tie up the sway bar and go for a ride to see if it stops squeaking.

I say bushings as well. You can remove them and clean them up, but it will only last a few months. Replaced mine 2 years ago and all is well now.

Back