Front End thunk

realscot2

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington Hts ill
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 xlt 4x4
Happy holidays

2018 exp 4x 4, 15757 miles. Since I've owned this from 2650 miles there is a soft non metallic sounding thunk every morning. I typically back out with the steering wheel rotated right almost all the way. Once I clear the driveway, I start to return the steering wheel left and slowly accelerate out of the turn. Just as I start going straight there is a soft thunk sound that seems to come from the middle of the front of the vehicle.

It initially happened ONLY when I backed out hard right and returned to center moving forward, now I hear it after coming out of backing up with the steering wheel turned left or right.

I've had it in to Arlington heights ford and they don't seem to ever hear it. I'm not ripping on their service, I'm a toolmaker/mechanic and I understand how difficult it can be to translate customer verbiage into a mechanical solution. It does not do this over bumps so I'm going to eliminate end links
Could it be

Sway bar bolts
Sway bar bushings

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subframe assembly bushings or bolts? Electronic power steering is in the middle-ish area of the vehicle, no? Also, I found this...

https://ford.oemdtc.com/1346/pop-or...ing-bolt-of-front-subframe-2016-ford-explorer

I realize your year is excluded from this action report. My other vehicle makes similar noises in the conditions you describe and i know the subframe bushings are shot. Makes me think subframe assembly something, but, best of luck! Low mileage too, oof!

Subframe assembly bushings or bolts? Electronic power steering is in the middle-ish area of the vehicle, no? Also, I found this...

https://ford.oemdtc.com/1346/pop-or...ing-bolt-of-front-subframe-2016-ford-explorer

I realize your year is excluded from this action report. My other vehicle makes similar noises in the conditions you describe and i know the subframe bushings are shot. Makes me think subframe assembly something, but, best of luck! Low mileage too, oof!

Thanks for the reply.....2018 xlt 4x4 only mod is 20 x 8.5 wheels...I wish I had a rack to put it up on and could go over each component......isn't that what the dealer is supposed to do ? Oh, wait, what am I thinking.

I've heard that the axle has spacers on it to limit the side travel, wondering if this is all I'm hearing. Only other thing that is dead center of the engine compartment is the PTU, could it be play or lash in those gears ?

Happy holidays

2018 exp 4x 4, 15757 miles. Since I've owned this from 2650 miles there is a soft non metallic sounding thunk every morning. I typically back out with the steering wheel rotated right almost all the way. Once I clear the driveway, I start to return the steering wheel left and slowly accelerate out of the turn. Just as I start going straight there is a soft thunk sound that seems to come from the middle of the front of the vehicle.

It initially happened ONLY when I backed out hard right and returned to center moving forward, now I hear it after coming out of backing up with the steering wheel turned left or right.

I've had it in to Arlington heights ford and they don't seem to ever hear it. I'm not ripping on their service, I'm a toolmaker/mechanic and I understand how difficult it can be to translate customer verbiage into a mechanical solution. It does not do this over bumps so I'm going to eliminate end links
Could it be

Sway bar bolts
Sway bar bushings
If you only hear it upon start-up and when then slowly accelerating, it could just be the ABS self-check that you are hearing. That's perfectly normal. For some reason, it is more noticeable in some vehicles than others.
Low Speed Clunk

Peter

If you only hear it upon start-up and when then slowly accelerating, it could just be the ABS self-check that you are hearing. That's perfectly normal. For some reason, it is more noticeable in some vehicles than others.
Low Speed Clunk

Peter
Thanks, but wouldn't that sound be more to the outside on both wheels?

Thanks, but wouldn't that sound be more to the outside on both wheels?
I believe the last time I heard it the sound seemed to be centrally located. You should only hear it after starting the engine and then moving forward. You would not hear it if you come to a full stop and then start moving. It would seem to be the more logical explanation than faulty parts at the mileage indicated and the fact that it has been there from day 1.
Happy Holidays to you too.

Peter

I agree with Peter, sounds like ABS check.
When mine does it, I can hear a faint thunk and if I'm paying attention, I can feel it ever so slightly by my feet.

Back