• Register Today It's free!

Front end work?

kona_mtb

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
So my front end has slowly been falling apart so I figure I will replace the broken stuff all at the same time. I need to do the shocks and coils, radius arm bushings, and wheel bearings. My question is, while I am under there and have it apart anyways what else should I replace to save time down the road? I was thinking tie rod ends, and ball joints? Would those be two that I may as well do as they have never been done and the x has 235,000k on it. Any other recommendations?

If you are going to tear it all apart and have the cash, do it all. If you are replacing the rad arm bushings do the beam pivot bushings as well. The more that is in good shape, the better it will hold alignment. With the higher mileage, alot of wear parts may have been replaced already, check it all carefully and replace those parts with any slop or wear. Make sure the steering box and steering shaft is in good shape, these commonly get sloppy and most of the time its the box thats bad if the truck wanders or steers badly.

Are your springs bad? Make sure the coil buckets are good. They will rust out at the top near the frame where the dirt collects behind them. These are easy to replace if the suspension is out. Prepare to do some grinding and get some grade 8 bolts to replace the rivots.

If yours is four wheel drive, I would replace all the seals in the front 'pig'. They are nearly impossible to replace otherwise. I would also look on the forum for the "C-clip" delete mod to save time down the road when servicing the pass side stub shaft.

Ya the coils have sagged almost 2/3" in the last 6 months. I did a bumper shock bounce test too and it was not good to say the least. I got the truck from a guy who bought it off the original owner who never really did the required maintenance. This guy was planning on rebuilding it up to a good offroader but after rebuilding the engine he got bored and sold it to me. So I know the front end hasn't received much if any work for the last 100,000km. I will check those thanks. Is there anything else that I should at least check?

U joints,you are going to have it apart and I learned the hard way after doing wheel bearings I got to do it all over again....3 times....because first 1 then the other u joint failed 3 months apart.:D

Back