Front gear/diff interchange `96 Exp vs `04 Sport Trac? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front gear/diff interchange `96 Exp vs `04 Sport Trac?

Bugzturbo

Reaction score
City, State
Collegeville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport 4x4
Posted this in the "modified" forum as well, but didn't realize there was a drivetrain specific forum so reposting here hoping to get a better response.

Planning on swapping 4.10 rears into my `96 Explorer Sport. Already have a complete low mileage `98 rear axle ready to go, but was still looking for a front. At the U-pull-it today I came across an `04 Sport Trac that was t-boned and only had 110k on it. It caught my eye because they never show up in this yard. i had toyed with the idea of the front brake swap so i checked it out, only to find the truck had Powerslot rotors and brand new wheel hubs on both sides. Made that decision pretty easy as I paid $60 for both knuckles w/ hubs and rotors (jackpot!!). Moving along though, I checked the gear code and it had the 4.10's as well. Since I was halfway there, 3 more bolts and the front rear dropped for another $50. BUT, in my haste, I completely forgot that my `96 used the front axle disconnect in the housing. So I can't use this one in my truck. My question however is, are the guts of the non-disconnect units the same as the disconnect units? I figured since i have it already, can I just swap the gears and diff into my housing? Or is there something special with the differential in my disconnect type axle? I know how to set the gears up and all, just want to make 100% sure these will work before I drop my unit out and get stuck without the right parts. Thanks

Back