Front Hitch Construction | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Front Hitch Construction

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
Update:

It rained all day today, I got bored and made a splash shield for the bottom of my radiator. When I installed the hitch, the plastic piece under the radiator had to go, leaving the radiator vulnerable.

I put a piece of 1/4" x 2 angle iron across the back corner of the hitch to help protect the radiator and give me somewhere to mount the shield to. I used the same metal to put tabs on the front. I drilled holes in the metal, then welded nuts to the back side so the shield bolts on easily.

Pictures!

spash_shield_005_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_006_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_001_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_002_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_012_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_013_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_008_Medium_.jpg

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
Very good Evan.
Man, to have access to the tools would be nice!

All I used was an arc welder, drill and jig saw. I made the bend in the metal on the end of a table. I'm proud to say this mod only cost me $2 for a jig saw blade.

You can access what I have to use any time, its just a long drive. :)

EDIT: Oh and a Chop Saw and angle grinder. I guess I did use some tools today, I kind of take that stuff for granted I guess.

Charlie's_93EB

Cat 3 Hurricane Rated
Reaction score
City, State
Venice florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie Bauer
I Believe it is 3 3/4"- It's an ebay special, but is very strong.

ok How does one measure a d-ring then? Top to bottom, side to side?? Or just the opening?

Thanks Charlie

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
ok How does one measure a d-ring then? Top to bottom, side to side?? Or just the opening?

Thanks Charlie

I am not sure how it is measured- it is cast into the ring, that is the only way I know. I just checked and it says 4 3/4 on it.

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
I like your mod and it came out very nice. The only part that worries me is the pic below.. I would have plumbed the tranny lines behind the hitch. If the hitch should fail then it could destroy your transmission lines and leave you stranded.
work_051_Small_.jpg

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
I can move them behind the hitch no problem- will do that next time I get a chance. I appreciate your input on that.

I got to try it out today- took a couple of hard tugs with no problem.

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4

Thanks Charlie

It all depends on what your trying to measure... Size, or Strength.. The shackle diameter and center pin are the main determining factors in terms of strength.. Common sizes shackle diameters are 3/4" and 7/8" and I've listed the avg capacities of steel shackles below:

Diameter 3/4" pin size=7/8" working capacity=10,000 lbs, Breaking strength=48,000lbs
Diameter 7/8" pin size=1" working capacity=13,000 lbs, Breaking strenght=65,000lb

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
I can move them behind the hitch no problem- will do that next time I get a chance. I appreciate your input on that.

I got to try it out today- took a couple of hard tugs with no problem.

I'm sure the hitch will hold up fine.. But moving them behind the hitch provides maximum safety... As an additional benefit the hitch will also protect the lines if you get into a front collision. :thumbsup:

Charlie's_93EB

Cat 3 Hurricane Rated
Reaction score
City, State
Venice florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie Bauer
It all depends on what your trying to measure... Size, or Strength.. The shackle diameter and center pin are the main determining factors in terms of strength.. Common sizes shackle diameters are 3/4" and 7/8" and I've listed the avg capacities of steel shackles below:

Diameter 3/4" pin size=7/8" working capacity=10,000 lbs, Breaking strength=48,000lbs
Diameter 7/8" pin size=1" working capacity=13,000 lbs, Breaking strenght=65,000lb

Ok thanks Roch.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty

millerman23

Reaction score
City, State
Shawano WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Red Paint A Must Ha Ha

Blue Bomber

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1974 F-100
^^^^ X2 on the red paint!!!!!!:):):):)

dllb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Red paint yes... Im painting mine tomorrow.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

allmyEXes

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I know this is very old thread but I was searching for front hitch install and came across your thread. I have a rear receiver hitch off of an F-150 that I want to modify to go on the front of my '97 MM. I noticed in your picture "Closer shot" that the condenser fins are visible. That gave me the idea of capping the back side of the receiver tube with a square piece of 1/4" plate to prevent any uh ohs when plugging in various attachments. I know the best time to do this would be during the mod/fab stage of things. just my 2 cents worth.
Very good write up and even being a post from '06 is still very useful today as many people are using and modding Gen 2s.