Front Jeep Cherokee shocks on Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Jeep Cherokee shocks on Explorer?

Nihil

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
So I have a set of brand new decent shocks that I was going to put on my 94 Cherokee. My 99 Explorer needs new shocks bad. The design is the same, except the Cherokees are about 3" longer extended--compressed is equal. My question is whether anyone has ever done this or if you think the Cherokee shocks are comparable to Explorer's in terms of pressure, strength, ride, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Install them and report back. You've got nothing to lose.

From looking at how rancho does shocks it doesn't appear they have stiffer shocks for heavier vehicles. While looking through their master catalog when I was looking for shocks of a certain length I found that shocks of the same dimension were used on vehicles with much different weights.

Soo, going by that, and that you said the compressed length is the same and the extended is longer and the mount is the same, it should work just fine.

~Mark

I was using cherokee shocks as a cheap replacements when I broke one of the pro comp shocks, just to get by until I fit in the longer shock towers.

I was using cherokee shocks as a cheap replacements when I broke one of the pro comp shocks, just to get by until I fit in the longer shock towers.

So they bolt up fine? I did lift keys up front and want some longer shocks. Cherokee shocks are 23” extended vs 18” for the X shocks. Mounting points appear to be the same.

Thread is 10 years old so if he answers he should be able to give a good review.

Thread is 10 years old so if he answers he should be able to give a good review.
I figured he would reply since he was on the site recently. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the shocks. I’ll update on my original post after installing them.

The difference is extended length between the two shocks. Collapsed length is the same. Also the two bolts on bottom of the shock are spaced 2-1/2” apart on the Explorer, and 2-7/16” apart on the Cherokee. Shouldn’t be an issue since there’s already room to move the bolts side to side to begin with.

I figured he would reply since he was on the site recently. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the shocks. I’ll update on my original post after installing them.

The difference is extended length between the two shocks. Collapsed length is the same. Also the two bolts on bottom of the shock are spaced 2-1/2” apart on the Explorer, and 2-7/16” apart on the Cherokee. Shouldn’t be an issue since there’s already room to move the bolts side to side to begin with.
Any update on this?

Back