front left hub seems to be engaging on it`s own | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

front left hub seems to be engaging on it`s own

snafu

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia , Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4
:ca: :( :greyexp:
Ok this is how it wuzzz, re/re the lower leftballjoint last weekend , checked passenger side (right) evything OK, decided to check/repack bearings etc..both sides. ,drove my 92 xlt 4x4all week , no problems , but i noticed front right bearing could be snugged a bit more , simple job , especially since i work for a shop with mass tools etc, and a boss who seems to know everything:fire:
after tightening up on the RS bearing , let the truck down , and proceeded to go home , untill there was a big clunk clunk , (loud ) , when I put the brakes on , turns out the "radius arm bushing", had finally weaseled it`s way out martymagyvered (boss) custom made a tapered 3" rubber bushing,seemed to fit fine..while letting the hoist down ( lifts either front or rear axles completely eyelevel-one or the other) rear axle which was up in air (on hoist) slipped 1/2 way off the hoist ( big bang) shiteezz, anyways let her down with the forklift under rear bumper, took for test drive , when all of a sudden the front end totally pulled to the right , loud noise coming from the front suspension ( although it was solid with new bushing) seems like 4x4 hubs are engaging on there own ( completely automatic), released 4x4 by driving in reverse 20 meters, it will drive Ok for a bit then aloud noise like a fishing rod`s reeel while hooked onto a great white ZRRRRRRRRZRRr. but just from the drivers front,
what could i have done , put the hubs on wrong, or when my truck slid off hoist did it disconect something ?
Took the wheels off again but couldn`t find anything wrong , seems to drive a bit better , when i make a left hand turn that fishing reel sounds from the drivers side hub ( i guess), then starts to pull right (sorta hard), when I click the 4x4 button inside on dash , and it engages , feels like I`m drivin a freaking tank , pulls really hard to the right the whole front suspension seems outta wack ( on pavement).but i could be wrong Hmmmmmmmm
Help please, this is my sole means of transpo, for me and the family
thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
First of all, Welcome to the site!! You'll find all sorts of useful info here! As for your hub problem, what you are hearing is a VERY common problem with the older Explorer hubs. The best way to fix it is to replace it with a set of manual hubs. They are much cheaper and much more reliable than the auto hubs. Do a search here on hubs, and you will probably find more info than you want to see :p . Good Luck!!

snafu

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia , Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4
wow thanks for the speedy reply J...

:eek: Well Glad i found this site , members are quick to reply ....Thanks..
So i decided to take the drivers front wheel off try to figure out what`s causing me problems, ( loud "fishing reel" soundZzzzzzzzz, Coudn`t see anything wrong , hmmmmmmm so i took the passenger front right off, figured out how the automatic hub " actually " works(spring loaded).couldn`t find anything wrong , it was when i was putting the wheel nuts on that I noticed the passenger side had at least 1/4 inch of the bolt left once wheel nuts where securely fastened , (BAMMM) Also noticed , the drivers side the wheel nuts ( which wereon tight ), but alas ,,where flush , Hmmmmm
took it for a spin heard the noice once from the front left hub , , reversed the truck to disengage 4x4 , haven`t heard the noice
Hmmm I`ll re-check the drivers front hub again , I have a feeling the ring on the spindle that engages 4x4 , is the problem . Hm,
we`ll seee

:bounce:

TSTONE

Giddy up!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland County, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
don't know if you're still monitoring this post but you may want to read this link, i was having the same problem as your and this did the trick, hope it helps
todd

Dead Link Removed

Bronco_bill

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT,97 XLT
The warn hub is so much better and I don't think there too expensive anymore. If you decide to stay with the autos let me know I have one good one from my conversion.
Bill

redexplr

Reaction score
City, State
anchorage, alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 eddie baur
sweet, now i know what to fix on mine, ive been wonderign what that sound is!!! its only once in a while, but it sounds so aweful when it does it!!!